Seneca kennels

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BigStrutter

Seneca kennels

Post by BigStrutter »

I am thinking about getting a Seneca above ground whelping kennel. Does anyone have one and have any pros or cons? Thanks

Ned

cpuckett

Re: Seneca kennels

Post by cpuckett »

Got 2 of the 3 dog kennels so far they are awesome. They are only 3 yrs old so I can't really speak for long term durability.they are holding up good other than puppies chewin coating off of wire,the crap does fall threw the wire good.they send you wing nuts to secure the top down on the house part ,they are kinda aggervating ,trying to screw them on in the dark,i use some squeeze clamps and just clamp them on then the can't raise up the top.....
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

All of my above ground kennels have there houses, I have two above ground versions, and the whelper box. Top shelf on all!!! Call Chuck Prather and he will hook you up!!

BigStrutter

Post by BigStrutter »

Sorry BCBeagles but I don't know Chuck. Is he a supplier? What's the number? Does anyone know what the price usually runs on a kennel, so I can start saving.

Ned

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Chuck is a dealer and a great guy. His # is 330-256-0530. He will qoute all you ask for. Hope this helps!!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I've got a couple I've had for 5 yrs or so....they are a good kennel. The catch trays underneath rusted out so I had new ones built out of aluminum to replace the galvanized metal originals. I also had a problem with one of my dogs whizzing in the house when I put straw in it.....the urine ate through the floor in short order (I cleaned it up right away but I was too late) so I replaced that myself to get it back in good working order. I had to weld a couple new supports under the front decks to hold the deck boards as well....seems like urine and aluminum don't mix. Now if only I could keep the dogs going where they are supposed to all the time :mad2: It only takes a couple accidents on the inside of the house with straw or hay in there and you'll have tiny holes all over the interior of the box. :censored:

Overall I think they were a good investment.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I have 3 sets of these kennels, the only thing I can say bad is that after a couple of years the inside of the dog houses seem to start to peel up, once that happens the dogs will start biting and chewing on them and rip out all of the insulation. I have had to replace 3 houses in the last year, and need to replace two more as we speak.. Anyone know anybody that could possible redo the inside of the houses with some type of insulation as the houses are waterproof from the outside just torn up on the inside and dont have insulation.
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Big Dog wrote: Anyone know anybody that could possible redo the inside of the houses with some type of insulation as the houses are waterproof from the outside just torn up on the inside and dont have insulation.
You could probably do it yourself. I redid mine, it took a few hours but it was worth the effort. I used a piece of white paneling from Lowes for the interior wall, it looks good and was easy to work with. If you remove the screws you can pull each individual panel off, pull the interior wall off, using a putty knife pop the insulation off the wall (Once it gets started it pops right off), then cut a new panel and reverse. It's not that bad of a job to do. :nod:

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

I have been told that they have a replacement insert that you can buy that just slips inside the house and you just silicone it in.
Crane Creek Kennels

HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES

Post by HAND ME DOWN BEAGLES »

We used 1/4 inch ABS sheets and cut them down slightly smaller than the floor and dropped them in. Then drill holes in the box floor for drains. With this done you can wash the box and also remove old or soiled bedding by lifting the plastic straight up and dumping. To fix the lid closing I removed the eye hooks form the sides relocated one to the brace at the back of the box, drilled a hole in the lip of the lid and got good quality bungee straps.

I have had mine for several years and other than these modifications the work perfectly. One more thing is the urine. Males seem to be harder on the screws that hold the wire in place. That is just another reason to keep females. lol

Hope this helps
Todd Jones

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Big Dog, when i build my kennels the inside of the dogboxs I use styrafoam then put fiberglass milkhouse board to cover it up. For the final finish i caulk all the joints with a good silicon. You can get it all at homedepot

Dingus Fan

Post by Dingus Fan »

I have 2 of the 2 dogs and 1 whelping. This is money well spent. I plan on buying another 2 dog at some point. I have had mine for 4 years and they stay in the weather with no problem. Ryan
Put God first in all things that you do!

hogbody

Post by hogbody »

Seneca Kennels are A-1, greatest thing since E-collars. Only problem is urine will eat right thorough the aluminun. Put a rubber mat or something similar in the bottom.
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.