Ground vs. Above ground kennels

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

goodpickens

Ground vs. Above ground kennels

Post by goodpickens »

What are the pros and cons of each? I lean more towards above ground kennels, but the guys like something on the ground so they don't have to deal with replacing the floor.

OleMoodyBlues

Re: Ground vs. Above ground kennels

Post by OleMoodyBlues »

In my opinion,
Ground kennels have more "Pluses than Minuses."
I personally have and use both:

Above Plus: In Deep Snow area - non issue, Hounds stay cleaner, Great for puppys.
Above Minus: Hounds nails require constant triming, More expensive to build, hounds get less excercise, Requires More maintenance, pups are more prone to be "greet shy", Common material used is wood- often get's chewed, ants, wood is harder to clean/treat (Fleas, Mites, etc)

Ground Plus: Less expensive (in the Long Run), concret trim nails, conditions pads, Chain link low maintenance, more flexibility - User friendly, Hounds get more excercise.
Ground Minus: Surface cleaning, digging (if not concret), Snow Cleaning/removal.

Just offering my $2.00 worth....
When it's all said an done, it's all in what you want....an/or afford.

Ole Moody Blues

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

Done them both and perfer above ground anyday....but, you have to have a yard to let the dogs out once a day or every other day. I have three Seneca kennels that are kept inside of a 10x20x6 run (double kennels for those escape artist).
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

PrideHillKennel

Post by PrideHillKennel »

We too prefer above ground. Did the expanded metal for flooring frist in my father in laws kennel. 3/4" i think. It was ok but rusted out near water bowls and where the males pee. When I build mine I used 3.5" x 1" think rough cut oak boards that are 1" appart. Never have to scrape it until the temp drops below freezing for a few days. That is only due to the poop freezing to the boards. Most times is just falls right through. Seams to be the ticket so far. Mine is a year old and shows no wear or rot. We do however tie pups out on the ground once they get a litte age on them. JM .02. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

D Slone

Post by D Slone »

above kennel.... keeps fleas,ticks,and worms away!!
Home of:
Lprch Slone"s Stylish Tuff Man
Lpbch Dixie Drivin Blue Goose