Ideas for a door

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hand_beagler

Ideas for a door

Post by Hand_beagler »

I have a chain linked kennel that is 10'x20'. I have been pondering on a door that only the top half of it swings open. That way the dogs can't run out if I am just feeding/changing water. Do you know anywhere I could buy a 6' chain link door like that or any ideas on how I could make that. Thanks guys!
Handridge Kennels
Good ol' Tennessee Briar Bustin' Hounds

Bells Run Kennels

Re: Ideas for a door

Post by Bells Run Kennels »

I just made a frame that was high enough for what i wanted and 2 feet longer then the door is wide. I placed it on the inside of the door openeing so that the door swings AWAY from it and used plastic ZIPSTRIPS to secure it to my kennel...worked like a charm and i could step over it when i needed in and it kept the puppies in. I am able to take it in and out as is needed with the use of cutters and more zip strips...give it a try and good luck.
Run your dogs....not your mouth!!!

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

Bill we're not all 7 foot tall, it's hard for us short guys to step over a fence ....LOL

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

Building a gate is not that hard. you can buy the stuff at lowes or buy a gate then cut it and make it a two part gate with latches on both the top and the bottom.you will have to buy a 6' piece of pipie and 4 corners

Bells Run Kennels

Post by Bells Run Kennels »

hey John...I am only 6 ft 4 and I am getting kinda old so I didnt make it too dang high to begine with...LOL. i talked with Big Tom and we are coming over hunting...was supposed to be next saturday BUT i just found out it will have to be the 19th. Let me know if you guys are good with that date.
Run your dogs....not your mouth!!!

Hand_beagler

Post by Hand_beagler »

Ok thanks guys. I have decided to make one. It will be so much easier with a half door. Its like the flood gates are opened whenever i open the regular door.
Handridge Kennels
Good ol' Tennessee Briar Bustin' Hounds

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I visited a gentleman once that had a nice little set-up on the front of his chain-link kennels... pretty simple too.

He had fenced in a 3 to 4 foot wide walk that stretched across the entire front. That way, when he went to feed, he simply closed the gate on the walkway. If the dogs got out they were contained in the walkway and easy to get back in. :nod:

Pulpwood725

Post by Pulpwood725 »

I made my own. The chain link below the door is 16" high. The gate opens above that. Works great.

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Around my chain link kennel I have "rabbit garden fence" made by Garden Tech. It is available at Lowes. It is 36" tall and graduates from a 1" x 2" hole to a 3" x2" hole. I ran this all around the 10x10x6 kennel to keep pups from getting their heads in the chain link holes and just ran it in front of my door as well. With just the 2' door, it is plenty sturdy and keeps pups from getting out.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Go to the woods and get you a 4' hickory limb alittle bigger round than your thumb. Strip the bark off and carry with you when you feed.
When you get to the kennel gate, smack the gate with the stick and tell the hounds to "bike", "bike away from the gate"! A few times of this and they will respect what you ask. Nothing more aggravating than hounds trying to break free each time your going through the normal everyday kennel routine. Hounds are like children, they should respect what is ask of them. Their freedom is to be given not taken on their own accord. They really like being given direction and are better kennel mates to their brethren if not allowed to become a bunch of wild Banshees... ;)

Puppies learn to back away from the gate if you push the gate inward slowly into them as you enter, telling them to "bike away", "bike". They have to learn what you expect from them... and the earlier it is learned, the better for you and the hounds... :nod: ...patience & repetition & more patience... ;)

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

tenntreedog wrote:Building a gate is not that hard. you can buy the stuff at lowes or buy a gate then cut it and make it a two part gate with latches on both the top and the bottom.you will have to buy a 6' piece of pipie and 4 corners
That's what I would do...
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10