Kennel wall material???

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bunnyblaster

Kennel wall material???

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Over the last year and a half I have put up a 24'x30' pole barn style kennel with a cement floor and a drain complete with a septic system. My question is what type of fencing would you use to separate the individual kennels? Right now I just have my pre-made 6'x6' kennel panels in there to partition the whole thing off. I am going to build a partition wall with doors(could use ideas for these too) to separate my 10'x30' storage area from their 14'x30' kennel area. So I need an idea on what to use for along the front and in between the kennels. How high? What gauge? And anything else you guys can think of?
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

S.R.Patch

Re: Kennel wall material???

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've got 4" block to go between the separate kennels, 3 block high. The males destroy the pipe on the bottom of the kennel panels by peeing on them. Most of the English kennels use brick or stone as the foundation and put a rod-iron top on it about another 4 foot high to make it a total of 6' tall. I was going to use the heavy gauge horse panels(2X4 spacing)for the top of the block, mortar in some 1" angle or re-bar to fasten the panels. This should last along time, sealing the block so the pee won't soak in and cause a smell, should wash down well.
Best of luck with your kennel...

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

S.R., I can't find the horse panels with the 2x4 spacing up the entire thing. Where did you find them at?? TSC carries the panels but not the one I'm looking for. The only other option I've found is a welded wire fencing with the 2x4. I thought about using that with 2x4 wolmanized for top and bottom support because it is going to span 14' front to back.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

dave g

Post by dave g »

i second s.r. on using block for the bottom. my father in law used to have a kennel off of a barn. he used block on the barn walls so the males could not destroy the barn. it works like a charm. my chain link kennels panels are about 3 years old and are in need for some painting this year because of the urine. when i built my kennel at my old house i used the treated lumber at it worked good but it would stink from the pee. i always thought i should have painted it with a good gloss paint to seal it from the urine soaking in.

later, dave

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I bought them probably 3 years ago at TSC, not every store has them but I don't see why they couldn't order them if they're carried in any of their stores.
If you go 3 block high, that's just over two foot high, my friend Ken George made his own rod-iron top. He took 8' rebar and heated it and bent it around a 3" pipe in the middle. That gave him a 3" spread between the rod and a 4' height. He made many of these and then took flat stock and wielded across the top and bottom leaving a 4'" space from the bottom to be mortared into the brick and a 4" space from top to give it a traditional decorative look.
The trick to this is, there are no horizontal bar for the hounds to get a foot hold on to climb(kinda like a jail cell, just vertical bars). Three feet high would even be plenty enough as the bars won't allow climbing, the 2' height of block won't allow puppies to reach the bars and grown hounds can't get between the 3" spacing of the bars.
If you can't get the horse panels, this is the way i'd go. Coat it with some Rhino bed liner or black coat sealant and your worries are over and you have a beautiful English style kennel... :nod: