New Kennel

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

les guynn

Re: New Kennel

Post by les guynn »

use chain link on the sides and middle

Crow

Post by Crow »

upstatenybeagler wrote:That could be an issue for some but my dogs dont try to get out, and worst case if i did, they are inside their exercise pen still. I was just planning on bracing the wire with more 2x4s and making it more sturdy then going back through with a heavy duty staple gun and tacking it down.
I think the earlier post was warning more of an unplanned breeding than the dog getting out & running loose. That "welded wire" as I know it as doesn't hold up very well if a dog gets it in his head to go through it. It works well & I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw a problem starting. Just a heads up is all. Looks like a good set up. Nice looking dogs. Are the 4 litter mates or something? Their faces look very similar & if so is that papa dog in the back right? Anyway good luck, looks like you're gettin' it where you want it.

upstatenybeagler

Post by upstatenybeagler »

My old man has been using same wire for years, we have a stock pile of this wire so it was free to use. Im just going to reinforce with more 2x4s so they cant push on it. So far the only issues with the dogs in this kennel has been them urinating on their deck instead of the benchtop flooring. Might end up having to replace the deck with more of the same flooring. Ill have updated pics this weekend as itll be mostly finished with just the tin on the roof still not ready
*IFC Beavercreek's Kickaz*
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Twisted Tank
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's Little Kickaz
Drum Runner's NEK Digger
Drum Runner's NEK Jack-Off

upstatenybeagler

Finally after all this rain and the new baby calming down. i got a day to work on the kennel. I have a lot of bracing on the roof to finish, and bracing/wire work on the sides of the kennel but its getting there. Im finishing off the roof this weekend and then the doggie doors and dog boxes inside the barn. After that im insulating the barn and installing the heater for the winter. The rest will have to wait until spring. Here's a few new pics:

Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's NEK Digger

upstatenybeagler

Also, my father had an idea for the wire on the side. he thought maybe about framing up and using the same flooring for walls. anyone tried that?
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's NEK Digger

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I figured the framing and flooring would be more expensive than just starting off with some good wire for the sides... :???:

Very nice looking kennel but i would put some heavy gauge wire between the kennels. Two of my best hounds killed each other over a hot bitch and this has happened more than once. Back when I had coon hounds and again when I had beagles.
I've had two accidental breeding because of bad wire and broken pipes on the kennel. Dan's Fence said $1200 and I'm good to go again... :roll:

Ideally, I would put another kennel on the other side of the building like you've built... one for dogs and the other for hot bitches... ;)

upstatenybeagler

im about to put some heavy gauge wire in the kennel. just in case. and yes the other side will have the same setup next spring along with concrete underneath and a system for waste.
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's NEK Digger

Tonyallen83

Post by Tonyallen83 »

Can I Get completed pics I love your kennel and want the same setup also a material list If it's not to much trouble.

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Here is the flooring I use in my kennels, works great and 99% of the droppings go thru. Its 2 " thick and no need for support on a 3' wide kennel. I use 3 pannels per kennel.

Tonyallen83

Post by Tonyallen83 »

What is the site I order this floor from thanks

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

I am a distrubitor for this product

upstatenybeagler

PM me your phone number and ill send you some pictures of the finished product. It turned out great. Ill upload some more on here when i get a chance.

Materials I used:

Lots of 2x4x8 and 2x4x10s
4 4x4x8
6 Sheets of plywood
6 sheets of chipboard
16 pieces of the Benchtop Flooring from http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/Gr ... enches.htm
1 50' roll of wire for the dividers and walls of the runs
Misc. hinges and things for the doors.
4 of these dog doors http://www.amazon.com/Door-Aluminum-Spr ... im_sbs_k_1
(those are the best doors ive ever used. easy to install, dogs figured it out within an hour. and it stops all the air from going into the dog box)
4 sheets of Tin roofing 10 ft long, 3 ft wide.

Thats for the runs pretty much..

For the dog boxes on the inside. Its simple, 2ft x 2ft boxes with plywood, top door that opens to feed/water the hounds and clean out straw.
There are 3 holes (2 inch diam) on each side of the dog box to get heat from the kennel. I installed a duraflame heater underneath the dog boxes so the rises right into those holes and the dogs stay warm (about 40 degrees when its 0 degrees outside).
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's NEK Digger

ARUSH70HALF

Post by ARUSH70HALF »

I see a lot of guys like to go with the floor of there kennel opened up so (stuff) just falls through,I find this to be very unsanitary and attracts lots of unwanted bugs,flies ect.especially in the summer,not to mention the smell.I built mine with a 2 x 8 treated floor and placed the boards as tightly together as possible then ran a drain gutter all the way across the back end of it with a 12" back splash screwed to the top of the gutter(used some old vinyl siding)hooked a 100' pc. of 4" flex sewer pipe to the down spout and ran it down through the woods.I have 4 5x10 runs 2 dogs in each and it takes 5 min tops to wash it out and rinse down the gutter.Thing I like is when I am done washing out he gutter it all gone,no bugs,flies,smell.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

he it looks great buddy! A friend of mine used this for flooring and this what I'm considering... looking for possibly a cheaper alternative, but so far that is what i'm hoping to use!!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

2beagleslarry

Post by 2beagleslarry »

Thinking of building a kennel. Seen yours. The floor you used, how is it doing? What is the size of the holes in the floor? Where did you get the floor?