Ground Kennels

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kbbgood

Ground Kennels

Post by kbbgood »

If I use inch minus rock on the floor of my kennel will it hurt the feet om my dogs or have other bad effects on them? Pouring concrete is not in the budget for now. Was hoping it would be good for their nails.

InTrapTrap

Re: Ground Kennels

Post by InTrapTrap »

I've used crushed limestone for years in my kennels. I always get 3/4" to dust (with all the "fines" in it ) to pack hard over time. Here in Indiana this is called 73's, but other states are different numbers for the same size. I'd never use just washed stone, as it is too hard to pick up poops and will always stay loose. Yes, 1" stone is too big.

InTrapTrap
Creekbank Kennels
Woodburn, IN

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Find a place you can get some sand or gravel. A gravel pit will likely give you enough to do a kennel. Put about 8-10" and stomp it down good. Then spread several bags of lyme powder. It drains really well and the lyme will eliminate any odor and solidify the ground. I would use this method before cement any day. I prefer above ground pens, but this is my second choice.

If you have dogs that dig put some 2" X 4" fence down before you put the gravel/sand in. Any digging can easily be filled in and packed down. Very easy to clean up crap with just rake and shovel.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Dan440

Post by Dan440 »

I use pea gravel in my ground kennel, and there has been no problems. You just have to buy a little every once in a while to fill in thin spots from scooping up their waste
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

kbbgood

Post by kbbgood »

One of my main things about using gravel is does it keep their nails down and does it hurt their feet keeping them on gravel all the time?

mjd

Post by mjd »

gravel is what my dad always used,and all ive ever used,keeps their pads tuff,i put chainlink fence down first for the diggers,then 2-3'' of 10's with dust then cover that with 2-3 inches of washed,no dust,these are about 1/2'' or so,water,melting snow seems to drain better this way, and every 2 to 3 years add a little from what gets tossed when cleaning kennels and the males kicking it out,and no it doesnt keep from having to trim their nails,does it hurt their feet,id say at first it does if they have never been kenneled on gravel ,usually bothers pups for a few days but i hardly ever have dogs with sore feet after running,ive used pea gravel before but i like the regular gravel better ,its rougher and keeps their pads tougher but thats just what works for me and the beagles and what worked for dad and his coon hounds
kbbgood wrote:One of my main things about using gravel is does it keep their nails down and does it hurt their feet keeping them on gravel all the time?