Kennel Thoughts

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tinymwoods

Kennel Thoughts

Post by tinymwoods »

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these and their thought on it. I am going to try a few things for my dogs here in town.

1. Auto Feeder and Waterer. I am thinking of building a flatform that would set outside the kennel for the feeder and waterer to fit on. The dish part would go through the fence to the puppy area. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

2. Exhaust fan that can be interchanged with a heat lamp. The idea is for one hole in the back that can circulate air in 90 degree weather or provide heat in the cold. I am thinking an exhaust fan would be better than a regular fan but not sure.

3. The main question I have is Waste clean-up. I have considered a mining belt or tray system that would force the waste from under the kennel and into a gutter type tray that would empty into a "septic" bucket buried in the ground. This would keep down smell and make clean-up a breeze if it would work.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these ideas before. Thanks.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

S.R.Patch

Re: Kennel Thoughts

Post by S.R.Patch »

My thoughts,
(1) When you feed puppies, it best to get in amongst them. They love to mouth the hand that feed them... :nod:
(2)An exhaust fan to pull hot air out and cool air through the box is better than just blowing air in on the puppies.... :nod:
(3) A scraper and shovel are the best tools of clean up. Any time you add water, you promote increasing smell. Washing only when absolutely necessary is best for hounds and smell... :nod: ...keeping waste dry has little smell.
A good kennel sits upon high ground, has a Southeasterly frontage, has good drainage, good air for drying and plenty shade and water for it's occupants..."Upon this rock shall I build my house"... :nod: