Above ground Kennel (5'x16' horse panel)

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ray s

Above ground Kennel (5'x16' horse panel)

Post by ray s »

Here is an above ground kennel I make from one 5' x 16' horse panel.The horse panel has 2"x 4" hole sizes. The kennel measures 5'x5' and is 30" high. The beauty of a stock type panel is there is no need for a frame to support them in the corners because, they are made from galvanized rods, not wire.The panels can be hog ringed together.The right side panel is ringed to the top only, not ringed at the sides but, held together at the sides w/ snaps and its bottom is pinned by 1/4"bolts through 2 eyelettes. Remove the corner snaps and the bolt pins and I can swing that side(hinged at its top by the hog rings)up to access the inside of the kennel.
The wood frame is made long enough to support the kennel floor and the dog house. I used treated 1x3 for the kennel floor but, there are other materials that would work as well if not better.
Thanks for looking
Ray Smalley

Last edited by ray s on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Panther Creek

Re: Above ground Kennel (5'x16' horse panel)

Post by Panther Creek »

That's a good idea! I've seen those panels at Lowe's, didn't think about using them like that. Should last a long time! Good job!
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

Farmerwells

Post by Farmerwells »

love the idea, have looked for these panels around central Indiana and cant find any where
Country Boy Kennels
Don and Ethan Wells
317-223-1618

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

I found mine at TSC and i think Rural King has them also.

ray s

Post by ray s »

The link below shows the panel I used, purchased at TSC. I found them at a neighboring TSC store. Since then my local store now carries them. A TSC manager told me they would most likely be found at stores in "horse country". But not all store will have them.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/h ... _vc=-10005

Hope this helps.
Last edited by ray s on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

i have seen the wire rack you see around the tanks you see setting on pallets used. take 2 u bolt together. use a torch or grinder make your door. i have one that has a locking door for protecion from theft of a valuable dog. some use a barrel on one end as a house or a good sized wooden house. you can plce tin roofin across the top put a cinder block 0r two so it doesnt blow away works fine.tin roof on the house and wire cage top keeps em dry.for floor use kennel flooring or 1x2 wire.

ray s

Post by ray s »

sbeagler wrote:i have seen the wire rack you see around the tanks you see setting on pallets used. take 2 u bolt together. use a torch or grinder make your door. i have one that has a locking door for protecion from theft of a valuable dog. some use a barrel on one end as a house or a good sized wooden house. you can plce tin roofin across the top put a cinder block 0r two so it doesnt blow away works fine.tin roof on the house and wire cage top keeps em dry.for floor use kennel flooring or 1x2 wire.
Have any photos ?

triple pines

Post by triple pines »

Found it at TSC and love it. Just finished my kennels with it. Thank you for the info on the fencing.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've used a barrel for several years for my setter. When she's not in her kennel, the beagles use it every chance they get when I let them out to feed them.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red