whelping box question

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

G.W. Arthur

whelping box question

Post by G.W. Arthur »

I'm building a box its going to be in my shop but no heat thinking about putting down 1/2 insulation on the floor and another plywood floor and a heat light think that will be good heat?

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Re: whelping box question

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

You dont need a heat lamp. Heat lamps are dangerous and you run the risk of a fire or pups getting to hot. If its really cold I have used a regular light bulb. The most important thing is a good warm floor. Insulate the floor and buy a heated whelping mat. The mat will keep the pups belly warm which is important. If they get to warm that can move off the heated mat.
Crane Creek Kennels

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I have an ABS (plastic) heated whelping matt in my box. It's 12" x18" & covers 2/3 of the floor. Only covering part of the floor lets the pups get off of it if they want. I also have a ceramic heat emitter for the air temp. The whelping pad is great. I have a reostat type control on it to regulate how hot it gets. You have to turn it down when the pups are very young as they still can't get off of it, & it will get too hot for mom to lay on it also. When they're older & mobile. they will get on & off at will. The heated dishes that fit down in the floor might work good aslo. My box was already built, so that was not an option. I'd hate to have a litter this time of year without some kind of heat, definatly floor heat. You have to keep their bellies warm.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

G.W. Arthur

Post by G.W. Arthur »

found out today no pups! going to save up my pennys try to get a Seneca kennel
thanks guys for all the info Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!