new whelping kennel pics

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluecollar beagler

new whelping kennel pics

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i just finished up my whelping kennel in my barn. i converted one of my horse stalls into a whelping kennel. heres a couple pics.. if you guys see anything you would recommend differently on the on the whelping box let me know. i can use all the help i can get lol... the light is hung in the center of the box and is roughly 18-20 inches high from the bottom of the box and right now i have a 100 w bulb in it until my other bulbs show up i ordered.. let me know what you think... also, is it safe to use the carpet in the center of the box?

my helper had to get in on the last pic lol...

les guynn

Re: new whelping kennel pics

Post by les guynn »

I would not use carpet or any other kind of rags, i have ex puppies get string in their mouth and could cause them to strangle or block their bile movement.

bluecollar beagler

ok... what would you guys recommend using for the floor to give them something to lay on? what about the floor mat rugs the old timers used to use in there trucks? something like that work?

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

I bought , and cut to size , a 4x8 sheet of FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic ) at Home Depot. It's that stuff you see on bathroom walls.I put it on the floor and walls of the box , and caulked the seams. But I thinks even a piece of rolled linoleum would work too, and may be a little cheaper. I think anything similar ,that is non-absorbent , would work.

ImageImage

bluecollar beagler

that would be easy to clean up and disinfect too.. i like that wireman, thanks.!!! lol.. what do you guys think about the height of my light... am i too low , too high? i just put the thermometer in it last night but havent left the light on to test the temp...

Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

Rubber mats work great. Carpet is hard to clean and can be a problem if chewed like Les said. What every you use make sure that it has plenty of traction so you don't end up with swimmers.

pineridgebeagles

Post by pineridgebeagles »

Its hard to tell on the light from the pic I dont use lamps I use a keene heating mat.The pups can lay on it and keep their bellies warm, or move off if to warm.Nice set up. Al

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

blue collar looks good, just a couple questions or thoughts for ya, i have my lighting attached to the back of the whelping box with heavy screen covering it, do u have anything covering the bulb, also can a pup get wedged under those 2x4's that run along the edge of your whelping pen? Also if your not hooked up to a thermostat control and the light will be on all the time you may not need a 100watt bulb, you may have sufficient heat with a 60 or 40watt, jmo, good luck with those pups
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

also for the floor, i would just leave it plywood, your female will take care of the cleanup till those pups can get out and do their business elsewhere, the heat from the bulb will heat that floor and all will be good
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

bluecollar beagler

not sure on the 2x4 and wedging.... ive got them 2 inches high... should i have it solid? as for the light, no thermostat control.. right now its just a 100w bulb in there.