Treated or non treated wood for above ground kennel?

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

huntemup

Treated or non treated wood for above ground kennel?

Post by huntemup »

Planning on building a kennel using treated wood except for the floor. Heard on a forum that you should not use treated wood on these due to the "poison" in the wood. I thought that was the old stuff. Any thoughts?

pineridgebeagles

Re: Treated or non treated wood for above ground kennel?

Post by pineridgebeagles »

All my above kennels are made of treated wood and havent had any problems for 20 years. Al

Crow

Post by Crow »

Had a treated floor for about 8 years now & one of my females has been on it since day 1. No health problems in that time (at least none related to the flooring).

DEA

Post by DEA »

Hey Fellas

I have 9 4x6 above ground kennels, have had for 8 years now. Treated wood is not a problem. But If at all possible use plastic ultra deck I have been switching mine over since i did the first one out of it. It is a little more money, but it will be the last floor you have to put in. It doesnt soak anything up and it cleans up real easy.
Either way, run the boards lenth ways and leave 1.5 inch gaps between them. You will be glad you did. I can take some pics of mine if your interested. good luck

Shoot Straight
DEA

ted sutton

Post by ted sutton »

All mine are treated woo have had no trouble.

Dan440

Post by Dan440 »

My kennels are framed with treated wood, and i have never had any problems. My floor is made out of the 2' x 4' plastic pannals and i dont think there is any better way to floors.
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

ARUSH70HALF

Post by ARUSH70HALF »

I see a lot of guys like to go with the floor of there kennel opened up so (stuff) just falls through,I find this to be very unsanitary and attracts lots of unwanted bugs,flys ect.especially in the summer,not to metion the smell.I built mine with a 2 x 8 treated floor and placed the boards as tightly together as possible then ran a drain gutter all the way across the back end of it with a 12" back splash screwed to the top of the gutter(used some old vinyl siding)hooked a 100' pc. of 4" flex sewer pipe to the down spout and ran it down through the woods.I have 4 5x10 runs 2 dogs in each and it takes 5 min tops to wash it out and rinse down the gutter.Thing I like is when I am done washing out he gutter it all gone,no bugs,flys,smell.And back to the original question,kennel is built from all treated lumber and no problems...

Gabby's Beagles

Post by Gabby's Beagles »

Unsanitary ? So dogs walking and stepping in their own feces is sanitary ? I use treated decking boards for floor in my kennels. I am going to switch to something so the waste falls through. Tired of dogs stepping in crap. Easier to clean up if it falls through.

upstatenybeagler

Post by upstatenybeagler »

ARUSH70HALF wrote:I see a lot of guys like to go with the floor of there kennel opened up so (stuff) just falls through,I find this to be very unsanitary and attracts lots of unwanted bugs,flys ect.especially in the summer,not to metion the smell.I built mine with a 2 x 8 treated floor and placed the boards as tightly together as possible then ran a drain gutter all the way across the back end of it with a 12" back splash screwed to the top of the gutter(used some old vinyl siding)hooked a 100' pc. of 4" flex sewer pipe to the down spout and ran it down through the woods.I have 4 5x10 runs 2 dogs in each and it takes 5 min tops to wash it out and rinse down the gutter.Thing I like is when I am done washing out he gutter it all gone,no bugs,flys,smell.And back to the original question,kennel is built from all treated lumber and no problems...
just my opinion, but i disagree. i use the plastic flooring and everything falls through, id rather not have my dogs stepping in it. Once a week i can shovel everything underneath into a wheelbarrow and discard it in the woods. Takes me all of 15 minutes once a week. I also use ashes from my wood boiler to spread out under the kennels and it kills the smell. i hope soon to build a concrete slab instead of the gravel underneath.
*IFC Beavercreek's Kickaz*
Drum Runner's PB Blaster
Drum Runner's Twisted Tank
Drum Runner's Sniper
Drum Runner's Savage
Drum Runner's Little Kickaz
Drum Runner's NEK Digger
Drum Runner's NEK Jack-Off

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

mine are wire bottom, and have to say i love how the stuff just falls threw. I very rarely have to take a garden hoe and help it fall, and clean the bottom once a week. After i clean it i put down a layer of kitty litter and some cedar bedding. Soaks up the moisture and keeps the smell tollerable. Olso one of mine is treated and havnt had any health issues due to it. In fact i wish i built my fist one outta treated .

Profquack

Post by Profquack »

I use the plastic kennel flooring, that has7/8 wholes in it to let the crap through and it washes down real easy. As for the ground under the pen, you can use horse stall rubber mats. Make the ground on a slant and put the mat down. It will wash real easy.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

upstatenybeagler wrote:
ARUSH70HALF wrote:I see a lot of guys like to go with the floor of there kennel opened up so (stuff) just falls through,I find this to be very unsanitary and attracts lots of unwanted bugs,flys ect.especially in the summer,not to metion the smell.I built mine with a 2 x 8 treated floor and placed the boards as tightly together as possible then ran a drain gutter all the way across the back end of it with a 12" back splash screwed to the top of the gutter(used some old vinyl siding)hooked a 100' pc. of 4" flex sewer pipe to the down spout and ran it down through the woods.I have 4 5x10 runs 2 dogs in each and it takes 5 min tops to wash it out and rinse down the gutter.Thing I like is when I am done washing out he gutter it all gone,no bugs,flys,smell.And back to the original question,kennel is built from all treated lumber and no problems...
just my opinion, but i disagree. i use the plastic flooring and everything falls through, id rather not have my dogs stepping in it. Once a week i can shovel everything underneath into a wheelbarrow and discard it in the woods. Takes me all of 15 minutes once a week. I also use ashes from my wood boiler to spread out under the kennels and it kills the smell. i hope soon to build a concrete slab instead of the gravel underneath.
I spread bagged concrete mix on the ground underneath my kennel. Just open the bag, dump it out, & spread it out with a trowl. Then let mother nature do the rest.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

koolhandrob

Post by koolhandrob »

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

Treated wood isn't treated with Arsenic anymore they are treated with salt water so it's not harmful....
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY