New dog housing question?

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hardscrabblehounds

New dog housing question?

Post by Hardscrabblehounds »

I am building a new setup for my dogs this spring, a 12'x16' shed on the side of their 13'x13' kennel. I have two dogs in the kennel but plan on making three dog boxes inside the shed as I will have the room. Right now my 12 year old and 5 year old females share the same house in the kennel and fight and bark constantly over it.

My question is this, when I build the new boxes do I temporarily divide the kennel and force them into a house of my choosing, or do I let them choose on their own?

Thanks,
Ryan

MaineDogs

Re: New dog housing question?

Post by MaineDogs »

If the only thing they are fighting over is the house and nothing else than let them decide what house they would prefer on there own, if they continue to fight than you should kennel them separately.

Hardscrabblehounds

Re: New dog housing question?

Post by Hardscrabblehounds »

Thanks! I felt the same way but wasn't sure if everyone's experience out there would tell me different. Wasn't sure if I left it up to them that the dominate dog would try and claim all three boxes for herself and still be just as bad. I will be ready to divide them if I need too. Thanks again.

Ryan