Treated or untreated?

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

HS Run

Treated or untreated?

Post by HS Run »

Added another dog and need to build another Above ground kennel. The last one i used the Farm Tec flooring and made 3 runs . I just want to make a single run kennel ,above ground and was going to use deck boards .Just wondering whether to use treated or untreated. Thanks in advance for any help.

bigdog

Re: Treated or untreated?

Post by bigdog »

treated, no question about it. then u wont have to worry about replacing any boards for a long time.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I built two above ground kennels 3 years ago with treated deck boards and was just looking at them the other day and commented on how well they are holding up. For years I used vinyl coated wire that the dogs hated to walk on, but with the deck boards they lay out in their runs all day long.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Gabby's Beagles

Post by Gabby's Beagles »

All my kennels are above ground with deck boards. Have used them for 5 years and still look very good. As stated above the dogs lay out on them all day long.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Built my kennel with the 5/4 deck boards. Used all treated lumber from framing to decking. Built it in the summer of 2004 & no signs of rot anywhere.

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

Finised my single dog kennel.Think it came out pretty nice.
Got the wire panels from cut down high bay racking from work and also the wood for the box.A friend got me the roofing so all I have in it is the treated wood for frame and the deck boards.