insulating

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wvden

insulating

Post by wvden »

what do you use for insulation on doghouses that you build yourself?

Rcoff

Re: insulating

Post by Rcoff »

packing peanuts-they're free.
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

wvden

Post by wvden »

never thought of that! free is awesome! thanks! :bigsmile:

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Insulating wont help any since the door flap won’t be air tight, basically the dog door is allowing all the draft in and allowing any saved heat from the insulation to escape. The best thing you can do is double wall the box and cut down on all possible air drafts. When I build mine I make it a bit wider and put the dog door on one side with a 8” wide hallway for the dog to travel down and them turn into the bedding area. This will cut way down on draft.

wvden

Post by wvden »

another good idea. i really appreciate the info!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Exactly how mine are and i hang a triple to quadruple layered burlap bag over the hole to the box, this also saves from the wind blowing in directly on the bedding area. My smart ones after they go in poke their head back out to make sure the burlap is again covering the entire hole to the dog box.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

If you make it so that the dog goes in and then turns to go into the house, the heat saved by insulating will stay inside. I make mine like that. At below zero temps. I put my hand inside and it is toasty with the dog inside. No need for flaps!
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

It may b overkill but the hounds don't complain so I keep doing it. I sleep inside at 70degrees so it's the least I can do for them. Did I mention their heated too, thermostats and all if needed!!!
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

wvden

Post by wvden »

honestly if there was power at my barn (where my kennel is) i would heat them too. maybe one day though :D gonna definately remodel though and get them off the ground and make it as plush as possible then make improvements as i go cause if i keep gettin deeper into this my wife may make me sleep there as well! :lol:

ray s

Post by ray s »

I believe the house " ceiling" with insulation above it and next insulating the walls is the best for our dogs when they need it the most, in the dog days of summer.

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

have pvc heated kennel mat has built in thermosta cuts off 85f $60 bucks nice i'd say floor could be cold too anyone try the thick foam like boat piers use

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

Insulation in the floors is most important to me in the winter months because the cold temp. In the ground transfers through the floor. Without the insulation in the floor it's like the dog is laying on the cold ground. Insulation in the floors,walls,and ceiling is the way to go when building a box, also small covered hole for the dog to go in and out of and your dogs will stay plenty warm. Spend a little extra time and money to build them right the first time.

Regular house insulation is the best just don't smash it make sure it stays puffy. Another good tip is caulking in any gaps you might have.

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

the most important things for dogs in the winter is 1, little to no drafts, straw or some good quality AND DRY bedding. i check my dogs bedding often because if the bedding has snow all tracked through it and the snow melts, your dog will be in trouble.