were to put your dogs

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dustin hurley

were to put your dogs

Post by dustin hurley »

on the ground or off the ground

Dan440

Re: were to put your dogs

Post by Dan440 »

I have done both, but love my above ground kennels. Keeps them off the cold snow covered ground in the winter, and up out of the muddy, wet ground after it rains
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

concrete pad with roof over it.cant go wrong, (JMO) cleans easy.keeps them out of the mud,

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I use above ground kennels and like them. Keeps the dogs cleaner to me and no problem to clean up under them but if you don't keep the dogs run-up you will notice that their toenails will grow pretty fast or at least mine does.

koolhandrob

Post by koolhandrob »

I use above ground pens and like them really well. As far as the toenails I get around that by putting a cheap concrete paver right in front of the opening to the dog house. They step on it going in and out and it helps quite a bit. They also like to lay on it in the summer after I wash out the pens because it holds moisture and stays cool.

begles

Post by begles »

and if you want to go all out.
strawberry hill kennle 003 (Mobile).jpg
(20.41 KiB) Downloaded 3281 times

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

With running a starting pen, I have come across some beagles that simply hate above ground kennels. I have yet to find a dog that could not get along on the ground. I use pea gravel about 2 to 3 inches deep, keeps them off the ground, pads stay tough, and easy clean up. I can buy pea gravel at the gravel pit cheaper than it costs to load it. Years ago I had an older dog on concrete that couldn't run any more, suppose arthritis, when I moved, put her on the ground, got many more years out of her. I'll never go back to concrete. Some guys love it. Easy to clean and sanitize, is up side.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

rcoff, im using the same type setup with the pea gravel. i just built a four run kennel setup with 2-3 inches of crush n run for a base to absorb the urine smell and to pack down hard and laying 2-3 inches of pea gravel ontop for cleanup and for dogs to run on. after seeing a friends setup like this i had to try it. hope it works good.