Kennel Size Question

Share kenneling tips, kennel construction, running and starting pen construction, suggested materials, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

Kennel Size Question

Post by Ole Mule »

Above ground kennel!! Not counting the dog house portion what is the size for one beagle. This is just the portion the beagle will be spending his time in outside the dog box length width and height? If adding a second dog what would you increase the measurements to. Just curious as to what different folks think a beagle needs. Now I know he will need exercising out side this kennel to stretch his legs.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

sammiller03

Re: Kennel Size Question

Post by sammiller03 »

i use 4x6. it really makes no difference becouse the dogs get no excercise to amout to anything. its all about user convienience. i used top go 8 feet deep but thats to far to reach back. thought about only going three feet wide. in my opinion 4x6 or a 10x10 are the same.this summer im building a new kennel runs 4x6 inside building 2x4 box divided in half. 2x2 box for sleeping 2x2 for water and feed then im building a 50 x 50 exercise/ puppy pen.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

ray s

Post by ray s »

sammiller03 wrote:i use 4x6. it really makes no difference becouse the dogs get no excercise to amout to anything. its all about user convienience. i used top go 8 feet deep but thats to far to reach back. thought about only going three feet wide. in my opinion 4x6 or a 10x10 are the same.this summer im building a new kennel runs 4x6 inside building 2x4 box divided in half. 2x2 box for sleeping 2x2 for water and feed then im building a 50 x 50 exercise/ puppy pen.

sam
I agree with Sam. Mine are 5' X 5' X 30" high( we're within a square foot ) mine are 5' because I use 5' x 16' horse panels and that is the the most efficient demensions.
The dogs stay clean seem to have plenty of room to move around and stretch out.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I like to keep the ceiling high too, (4 or 5 ft). With a low ceiling and tin roofing it gets pretty hot in there. The high ceiling gives more roon for heat to rise & more air flow.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I have always wanted to get all my dogs off the ground, So this summer I decided to do just that. I figured how big I wanted to make it and where I wanted to put it. Above my house I have 2 acres of woods and their I decided to build. I built it 34 feet long and 6 foot wide all boxes built together in one line, I used white privacy fence for the floor, but I found out in a :) hurry if you got a chewer, not a good idea. I used the bigger holes, and i have four dogs in them now, one young male my chewer. I made each box 24 X 30 and each run around 30 x 46 roughly, not much room for a run but I have noticed over the years they came out to do their little jobs and eat and drink then go back in the box sleep or what ever. But not trying to tell everyone to do this or this is right, Because every one has their own idea, So go with your's. GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU , AND KEEP THEM RUNNING Used metal on the roof.