THORN GAP BREED

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagle101

THORN GAP BREED

Post by beagle101 »

does any one no anything about this breed?

Stone Cold Beagles

thorngap

Post by Stone Cold Beagles »

what do you want to know

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Alot of the Thorn Gap stuff goes back to Chapman's Buzz Bomb & Deer Park Spike breeding.

Danged good bloodlines!
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

LR Patch

Thorn Gap

Post by LR Patch »

Did the breeder of this line live in Knoxville,TN. There was a man who lived on Thorn Gap pike who raised beagles back some years ago good
rabbit dogs as I recall.It is just alittle north of Knoxville.Might of been where this line started?

Darrell Bordeaux

Thorn gap beagles

Post by Darrell Bordeaux »

I don't know a whole lot about the breeder of the thorn gap line ,but I have purchesd a couple of beagles that are hevily breed out of the thorn gap line ie. thorn gap dark ralph and thorn gap bad jack and I couldn't have asked for a better all around dog . I field trial once in a while and have brought home a few trophies . I also like to meat hunt once in a while with friends, and they always enjoy my dogs, they keep offering to by them . I run both cotton tail and snow shoe hare hear in Michigan. I have bread a couple of grade hounds to them and so far every pup has turned out to be a deseint rabbit dog looking forward to breeding to one another. I have a Female out of FC hoosier hills sam and hoosier hills rachael which both go back to FC thorn gap bad jack. And a male out of FC hidden valley blue chip (thorn gap dark ralph)and skylight bad jaqi (FC thorn gap bad jack). Like the man said darn good line. :D

jackknife

Post by jackknife »

I believe that someone said that it may have come from around Cookeville, TN. I too had some of this breeding and liked it very well. Not 100% sure on origination, hope someone knows for sure.

show dog

Post by show dog »

My 11 year old has Thorn Gap in her pedigree. The breeder is listed as Don Phillips. He had a kennel name Red Oak's and I believe he is in Michigan. I have registration numbers for 3 Thorn Gap dogs, if that is any help. My hound is a small pack, walkie-talkie hound. Excellent line control and walks the line at your speed . She makes me laugh! Sje searches well but is slow. If you can find a picture of the canadian Milkbone beagle (available online), that is her! I didn't let her hunt until she was old because she is obedience trained for movies etc. Tritronics cured the recall.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

My best dog is Thorn Gap on bottom. Seems like a good cross with Robs Diamond stuff on top. CLean, smooth, and fast on checks with his solid medium speed.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

My young gyp hasa cross of Bad Jack & Big Sam back on bottom in her pedigree. We made a cross with some heavy show breeding (Felty/Lanbur)We got some of the finest looking RABBIT hounds you've ever seen.She placed 2nd in a PBGA all age Qualifier at 18mo. also took 1st on the bench. Solo'd a bunny today for an hour and a half with maybe 10 minutes of downtime.Thinking of taking it back to a son of Bad Jack if possible. We'll see :cool:
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

high ridge joe

THORN GAP INFO

Post by high ridge joe »

i have a H & H Magazine fromjuly, 1983....on pg 96 is an advertisement for Thorn Gap Kennels.......the contact names on the ad are...wayne thompson, bill turner & hoyt dillehay...all 3 names show addresses in Cookeville, Tennesse....
i also have a H & H magazine from feb., 1989 with FC Thorn Gap Bad Jack on the cover...the write up show the hounds owners as joe howard of mayfield, pennsy. and wayne thompson of cookeville...

beagle101

dog

Post by beagle101 »

i have a older male out of THORN GAP DARK SALLY come from the Wayne Thompson breed as good as they get to me? thanks for all the help about the breed/another ? has any one ever crossed the thorn gap with a branko?

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

If you havent already go to Pedigrees Online, type in "Thorn Gap" on the search engine and study some of those pedigrees. Try this link:

http://www.online-pedigrees.com/cgi-bin/pedigree-sql.pl

Thorn Gap dogs are mostly "old southern cottontail" bred dogs, from lines such as Deer Park Spike /Ike/Sunnyline Ralphie, Chapman's Buzz Bomb, Pearson Creek and the likes.

From my understanding, most of the Branko stuff is snow-country, northern hare hounds. Not at all saying the typical hare hound bred dog cannot do well on "southern cottontails", but they certainly were bred differently.

In my humble opinion, if you like the Thorn Gap line, I'd stay within that line if at all possible (line-breed). If that isn't an option (concerning your breeding options), I'd still stay within the cottontail bred line of dogs to cross with your Thorn Gap hound.

:D
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

A man in pa bred Branko blood to Thorngap blood and producing FC Nittany Cigar who is a very serious all around rabbit dawg! He is still in Pa. near Pittsburgh and will run the hair off a cottontail.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

abb

thorn gap crossed with branko

Post by abb »

:D
Last spring we crossed our Thorn Gap male- Thorn Gap Dark Ralph top and Thorn Gap Bad Jack bottom with a female heavy in branko. WOW! We ended up with some excellent little hounds. Fast starting, hard driving and beautiful to boot! If you are anywhere near west Michigan we'd love to show 'em off!

beagle101

dog

Post by beagle101 »

you dont no of any of that breed for sale do you? would save me alot of time and money?