line breeding??

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hoytman

line breeding??

Post by Hoytman »

:?: I have 2 beagles that have exactly the traits I want in my gundogs. They come from the same father, with dfferent mothers. Should I be concerned about breeding these two dogs together? They are AKC reg. but I have no intention of raising dogs to sell. I am just after good gun dogs for my own use.
"Without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Rosewood

Post by Rosewood »

I would not be concerned at all about making that cross if both have sound bodies and the traits that you are looking for. If it were me I would keep all the pups at least until they were running good and make sure that you keep the ones that posses the traits you are looking for. Remember when you make that cross you are doubling up on the genes that your dogs have you will double up on the good genes but you will also double up on the bad genes so you may see some undesireable genes show up in some of your pups that are reccesive or hidden in the parents. Good luck :)

mybeagles

unpopular opinion

Post by mybeagles »

I think its irresponsible to inbreed dogs. I realize this goes against what most major breeders will tell you, but just thought I would offer the opposing position.....
Isnt there a good male you know of that has the positive traits you are looking for. Most dogs have at least one weakness, find a dog that has a strength in your dogs weak spot. I think the fact that you are asking, tells me inside you dont think this is quite right?????
Good luck!

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

I agree with Rosewood. "IF" these dogs have the conformation and traits exactly like you want as you posted, then I would carry through w/ plans.

If you do some reseach, some of the better dogs out there, past and present, come from breedings similiar to what you describe. Just look at the pedigree for CHB Deer Park Spike here:

http://www.online-pedigrees.com/cgi-bin ... &index=186

Spike was an awesome little rabbit dog who even produced maybe even better than he was, and he was closely bred, as his pedigree shows.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

As far as inbreeding goes, most dogs somewhere in their pedigrees will have common ancestors, so the question isn't really whether to inbreed or not, but how close to inbreed. The only inbreeds I won't do is mother to son, father to daughter or brother to sister. Half siblings and uncle to niece is fine, aunt to nephew, etc.

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

Depends on just how good their father was!! remember you're doubling up on his genes. Better be sure good qualitys aren't coming from their mothers. Just my opionion.