tall beagles

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mib5723

tall beagles

Post by mib5723 »

a few years back while pickin up a pup redbone, i came across some beagles the owner had that were, to me, extremely tall, or more so than i've ever seen before. Lookin around the standard i find is a maximum of 15in...but these dogs were atleast that tall but seemed maybe a good 2-3inches taller. Are beagles that are this size normal? are not really excepted in the beagle class?
thanks

kidspot

Post by kidspot »

The standard in the US of the AKC allows beagles up to 15". In England, Australia and New Zealand (among others) the standard allows up to 16". This means that beagles can get larger than 15" but in America they are not suppossed too. My beagle is 14 1/2 inches tall and was the smallest her kennel has ever produced (out of New Zealand). Supporters of the English standard will say that this larger size allows them to focus more on temperament and other characteristics.

Hope that helps a bit.

P.S. occassionaly you'll see a beagle nearly as large as a harrier - but that's not what they are suppossed to be - beagles are suppossed to be small dogs with BIG personalities :D

Post by Guest »

To "compete in the trials & show", the hound in the US must not measure over the 15" size limit. Of course the beagle can go oversize. Any who have bred hounds over the years have had a large pup tip the scale, 2"-3" inches is a bit to the extreem. I remember when, if you had a couple of 6 footers on you basketball team, you could dominate the boards with size. Now the guard position is played by that size fellow.
The standard is set for breed competition an as a guide line or limits to breed within.
Size is just another part of the standard you select for your hounds and is set by those you select to breed from.
In the UK we found a pack that is bred & maintained at a level 14" size. It is the size the Pack Master feels is best suited for the country they hunt. Any that go much over or under on size are drafted out to other packs that perfer that size. Over the years of selection for size, he has a level pack that produces a high percentage of the size he likes. So, its all about your standard and the qualities of those hounds you select to breed from...Patch