Is Their a Breed of beagles That are Meadum to Supper Fast

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

just Hunter

Is Their a Breed of beagles That are Meadum to Supper Fast

Post by just Hunter »

Im Was wounding if their a breed of Beagles that Run to Catch.What some call Supper Fast,not verry far behine the rabbit when you see them most of the time.That Eventually run the rabbit down or to its corry.Ive heard of some meadume speed dogs that catch rabbits that way,but Im looking for a breed that keeps contance presture on the rabbit and not verry far be hind them.Ive seen afew that can do this.Im just woundering if their is a breed?I heard in Englane that,thay dont use guns thay let the pack run the rabbits down. :roll: Thanks For reading hope i didnt ruffel any fethers by asking this, Just Hunter
Just Hunter.

Harrell Whitener/REBEL

Post by Harrell Whitener/REBEL »

Mid West hounds are usually the fastest beagles trialed in SPO/AKC--so maybe you should request info on various bloodlines doing well in that area.ARHA also has some fast events but they are usually more loose running than Mid West AKC/SPO hounds.If you wish you can e-mail me and i will give you a number of someone that breeds and has several litters due soon that i think you would like-this person trials in the Mid West and=i think=he said he has made over 20 FC's in his years of trialing.

abb-Michigan

there are lines of beagles that run to catch

Post by abb-Michigan »

My husband and I have a female that has a great deal of Branko breeding. She runs to catch the rabbit, and from what I understand Branko dogs are known for being fast and pushing the rabbit or hare to the limit. I have no complaints at all about her speed. Our dog is a little loose at times, but she is still young and I have noticed that she is settling down the older she gets. One thing I think that I should point out is that Branko's are often hare hounds-BUT-they have excellent noses, and if you train them on cottontails they do a great job on them! We run both cottontail and snowshoes, but we always start our dogs on cottontails. Rumor has it that it is twice as hard to slow a fast dog down then to speed a slow one up! :)

Another place to look into for run 'em down dogs is ARHA Little Pack trials. Not every dog there is super fast, but a lot of them are fast and fairly close to the line. And finally I really recommend looking at UKC field trails if you like the dog who "needs to be in front". that style of field trailing rewards for "speed and drive". Even though these reg. open dogs, a hugh number of the dogs are AKC reg. We have found that by attending AKC, UKC, and ARHA field trails there is a trail for every dog we own. Keep an open mind when looking for the "right" hound. We've stumbled on some real gems in the most unlikely places! ;)

BigB

Fast run to catch type hounds

Post by BigB »

Most of the time if you check the pedigrees on LP Grands they got there because they are run to catch type hounds. I've notice that they are more wild and a whole lot harder to judge because they run to catch. There are just so many lines out there that you cann't give them all justice. Just remember that because a hound is leading the pack when you see them cross an opening that doesn't mean it's the fastest out there. I was judging out at the world hunt and was running parallel to the cast when they came up on a thick briar patch. I watched a dog running in fourth place skirt that briar patch by 30yrds and by the time the dogs got thru it that dog was running 40yrds in front of the pack. The only true way to see the dogs is if you run with them to see exactlly what they're doing!!!