time for breeding

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

absolutelybeagles

time for breeding

Post by absolutelybeagles »

Can anyone tell me if there is a set rule of thumb for the correct time to put the male with the bitch? She is still dribbling, but I have been told to wait 3 days, wait 10 days, put her with him right after she stops dribbling, etc. Is there a set time frame that works best? Thank you for any assistance.

absolutelybeagles

Post by absolutelybeagles »

Forgot to add that my male is young, a recently purchased 11 month old Branko's pup, and I don't want to subject him to a female that might give him a nasty rejection if she is not ready to recieve him yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated and used.

samlyn0001

Heat

Post by samlyn0001 »

Rule of thumb is 21 days total. Seven going in, Seven during, and Seven going out. I put my female in the whole time. For instance my bitch went in on March 25th, that is when she started having show. She was bred and tied on April 3rd, 4th, then nothing til the following week. The next week she was bred and tied April 8th, 9th, twice on the 10th, and 11th. These are the times that we saw them. Every bitch is different. Some are receptive faster than others. Her last time she was bred was Aug 3. Only tied three times. If these two get along well I would leave them together, then he wont miss a thing. Just my opinion.
Good luck to you ;)