coonhound beagle cross

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coonhound beagle cross

Post by Guest »

anyone tried to cross a beagle with a coonhound (bluetic or walker) with any luck thinking about giving it a shot any help would be great just a pleasure hunter of cottontail and hare and i hunt in verry deep powder alot thought about this cross due to the fact that i see better noises on todays coonhounds than beagles.

Post by Guest »

Maybe you should look into getting a harrier? Taller than a beagle, loud mouth, and none of the difficulty you'd have in training a beagle/coondog cross. Both have been bred for a very long time to hunt very different game, in very different ways. You'd get a very inconsistant litter. First rule of breeding is never breed opposites!!!

Post by Guest »

I don't think you should try something like this because I dont think it will help you to get a good rabbit dog.

RUSTY

Post by RUSTY »

I LIVE IN N. CENTRAL IND. THEIRS A MAN HERE THAT HAS A FEMALE 1/2 BEAGLE 1/2 WALKER COON DOG, THAT HE BREEDS A FULL BLOODED BEAGLE TO SO HE CAN HAVE 3/4 BEAGLE 1/4 COON DOG.
HE HUNTS COYOTE WITH THEM. HE TOLD ME, THAT THE COON DOG GAVE THEM MORE SPEED AND SIZE, THE BEAGLE PUT THE NOSE IN THEM.

JUST MY TWO CENTS
RUSTY

DOGRUNNER

Cross

Post by DOGRUNNER »

I have done it for deer hunting and has worked out great. They are a little bigger in the leggs and have a great nose. I would say they are about 17 to 18 in.
http://bb_beaglesnlabs.expage.com/index.html