Training Scents

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WillowCreek

Training Scents

Post by WillowCreek »

I never hunted with dogs before but just got a pair of sisters that hust turned 3 months. I saw in a catalog this training scent that s'posed to teach dog to follow a scent. Theres a scent comes in rabbit and I'm thinking to buy it to help me out training these girls. Thought I'd find out if others used this kind of training scent, how long to use it for?

Rosewood

Post by Rosewood »

Trailing scents are OK but I've had better luck with live rabbits. Most placed you can find some sort of tame rabbit pretty cheap $5.00 or less then you can use that to get your young dogs interested that also gives them a visual as well as scent. Then after they know what a rabbit is stop the tame rabbit and expose them to wild rabbits. Domestic rabbits are good to start on but don't over do it. Get them on wild game as soon as possible. Another option is find someone with a starting pen.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Nothing beats the real thing and a training pen is best if you have one close by. IF not, take them to the wild and let them go. Nature will take over. You might buy an older dog if you can to help them along.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

wingpatch

Training scent???

Post by wingpatch »

BE very very carefull, I have heard some very interesting stories about training & breaking scents? Who really knows what they put in them bottles ???????? I go along with ever one else nothing like the real thing.......Wingpatch

Dom

Post by Dom »

Wingpatch, no kiddin? What're the things you heard about trainng scents? Iuse them time to time for starting pups.

rimshot

Post by rimshot »

At three months old, you still have two puppies. I would train them how to follow you and to learn your scent. They will start when the time is right if giving the chance. I train my pups on what I want them to run, wild rabbits. Buying rabbit scent in a bottle, what part of the rabbit do they get the scent from? I feel you would have just as much luck dragging a pork chop bone for them to follow. Have fun and it will last a life time..