Hanks Jo Jo Blue dogs

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dom

Hanks Jo Jo Blue dogs

Post by Dom »

Just got a pup from this line, so far he's done nothing but impress me. I've been into hunting with dogs since the 80's and first had coon dogs. Moved ot a different location and got beagles, but no matter how good they were, I never saw the level of hunt in the beagles than in coon dogs and some other hunting breeds. :shock:

bobby brewster

Post by bobby brewster »

HEY DOM were are you from i raise redticks and blueticks out of the emmons blue steaker,hoopers rusty nail,hanks jo jo blue,gunsmoke and cross them with a faster line of redtick and bluetick loy's redticks and lillycreek and cumberland river bloodline.i like the hunt in the jo jo blue line.iam in middle tn.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Hey guys, I have never hunted any Jo Jo dogs but there are plenty around here. Am I wrong when I say that Jo Jo was over 1/2 brace bred. Alot of Pearson Creek and Bun-e-line breeding in him. I was just wondering but it seems to be a good line.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Dom

Post by Dom »

Swamper you're right this is an old brace line from the 50s and 60s. I hear a lot of good thing about them even though lots of people say brace hounds are walkie talkies.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I thought so but hey, you look at all great SPO dogs' peds and see what you find about 7 or more generations. All brace lines. A bunch of pearson creek.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Christine

Post by Christine »

Dom, I have a bluetick out of this line. Very methodical on the line, very accurate as well. I'd say he is fairly slow but not to be confused with the walkie talkies that sniff and bark. I've seen him go so fast it was eerie, it was liek he knew where the bunny was from one sniff and just went throught the motions of sniffing it out becuase tht was just the thing to do. He was mind numbingly intelligent.
Like someone else said though, in trying to get the perfect hound that will follow the line to a T, George Nixon created a monster. We have tremendous health problems with him and he does not always have enough stamina becuase he is not built correctly. For all the health problems he has had, we can never breed him which is a shame.
I also wanted to bring up soemthing to those who are, well, not too fond of brace beagles and think they should be done away with. Though many brace hounds are a disgrace, accuracy on the line and slowness of foot is what the beagle was originally intended for. They were supposed to puzzle out the scent, all its intricacies, even if that took hours. Some are breeding leggy dogs that are so fast they are just tracking, not really puzzling out the trail at all. 2 cents ;)