Melanson's Ranger Dan

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NorWester

Melanson's Ranger Dan

Post by NorWester »

Looking for first hand info on him, how he ran, nose power, desire, track speed, line control etc, etc. He seems to have built a reputation as a producer, primarily thru the notoriety of the Greenbay Shooter dog. What else did Ranger Dan throw of note and has anyone made any attempt to inbreed or linebreed off him and if so what were the results? Any pics of the hound kicking around?
It's not that life is short......it's just that we're dead for such a long, long time...

deerhost

Re: Melanson's Ranger Dan

Post by deerhost »

I have a shooter female. I can only comment on what I have . She is upper medium to medium fast. But she can keep up with a faster dog if she needs to. She runs the line PERIOD!! No skirting or reaching. At a check if she dosn't smell the next track she will work the check inside and close and if she dosn't find it she gradually looks and works forward eventually working outside. She's got pretty good hunt but its gets better once she gets her first rabbit up. She has enough nose to run on cold snowy days but her only fault is she lacks her daddys outstanding nose to run on really icey days. She can keep a cottantail going for as long as it stays above ground on a fair scenting day. She's got a great mouth just a tad tight at times but I like her. Not perfect by a long shot but she's a keeper here....dh she's silent in the kennel

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

Keith here is the pic of Reggie I was telling you about. I will try to find the pic of Dan If I can.

Dave Martin- (906) 285-1740

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

I saw that one on the NMHA site, he's a good lookin little hound Dave. I liked the looks of Big Booty Judy too :D (love the name!)
It's not that life is short......it's just that we're dead for such a long, long time...

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

ttt

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

Tony Eyers i believe has Eyers Geneo who is directly off of Ranger Dan ,he has produced 4 or 5 Akc fcs out of different females ,some body correct me if im wrong .I have Rabbit Ridge Big Tuna "T@ds big Tuna in akc ' he is out of Geneo he has extreme hunt and extreme nose power ,honest mouth ,fast foot ,he is a ukc hbch i really like him and hes throwing it in his pups .IFC Ranger Dan was the top producer for 5 or 6 yrs running and maybe is still in the top 5 im not sure ,Hope this helps some.
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

KanesIrish

Post by KanesIrish »

I was fortunate to judge Dan a few times towards the end of his career/life. When I saw him he was a medium speed hound - PERIOD. He was all about the line. My father and I awarded him second one day in a class of 36 little males at Millers River. That day all 5 hounds that placed were field champions. As far as hunt/desire goes in the end of his career there wasn't much hunt/desire left in the hound, he had seen probably 150 trials and hours of running time. He would give you an extra bark in the check, but usually that would work to his advantage because nine times out of ten he would get the check. He had an above average nose, but I never saw him run in tough conditions so I can't comment if it was ever better then that. I know that he was laid up at least one winter because his pads were worn raw after running on the ice and crust.

I far as him only building the notoriety as a producer through IFC Green Bay Shooter, I think that's an understatement. Dan has produced a boat load of FC's and FTC's. The ones I can think of: FTC Stone's Fareast Ranger John, FC Cooper's Harebawl Daisy, FC Honey Hollow's Elvis, FC Scrub Oak's Miss Bella, FC Little Creek Katie III, FC RD's Blacky, FC Meadow Brook Chipper, FC Sparkling Brook Toby, FC Manny's Little Dina II, FC Mr. Chippity Chip, FC Mr. Buddy III, FC Rosie You Better Run Pearsons, FC Peter Star Dancer, FC Stone's Chubby Chester, FC Stine Time's Oops a Chase, FC JR's Topgun Tyke. I know that there are ones that I am forgetting as he produced a few more in Michigan as well...the same cross as Shooter. Of these hounds that I have seen only one or two were headhunters, the rest were just nice line running hounds that would clean up the front running hounds.

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

Good info, thanks

NorWester

Post by NorWester »

ttt