info on red and white or chocolate and white ??

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brusherdw

info on red and white or chocolate and white ??

Post by brusherdw »

any one have any background, etc... on the red and white beagles or a deeper red ( almost chocolate or liver color )

Post by Guest »

You can see those colors show up in many different lines. Some people use the misnomer"warfield red" for them.My Dad has a really goodlooking chocolate and white pup right now that he is going to sell.If you are interested let me know.
J.Murphy/Murphy's Kennel

New York Hillbilly

Reds

Post by New York Hillbilly »

If you are looking for a hard hunting, smart family of red hounds look up Paul Webb in Ohio. Paul is a friend of mine who is a little rough around the edges but straight as an arrow. His Rising Suns reds are among the best hounds (if not THE best) I have ever owned! Paul is getting up there in years and is down sizing due to lack of help from his now grown son and being tired. He may be letting go of some hounds that you would never have been able to get from him in the past.
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Rosewood

red & white

Post by Rosewood »

I have some red & white hounds and have owned several. Most of the ones that I have been associated with are very active hunters and have very good speed. Some people are prejudiced against red beagles just as some are prejudiced against bluetick beagles. The red & white ones that I have are from the Ellison Ridge Redman line. I have been very happy with them. The only fault that I have with them is that if you hunt them hard several days in a row their bodies wear down. They're eyes and ears seem to be more tender than some other colored hounds. My local vet told me that this is a commom problem with red beagles because that red is not a "Natural" beagle color. She says that the red color showed up many years ago from a recessive gene and therefore it is weaker. This is a quality that I am attempting to work on in my breeding program. I feel like the red beagles can be toughened up through proper breeding. As for now I don't see this as a major problem because these hounds are still tougher than most hunters I know. Besides I have more than I can hunt at one time anyway.
Anyone interested in some red and whit pups heavy in Ellison Ridge Redman should be fast ARHA little pack prospects Phone (276) 496-7591 ask for Andrew Holmes. These pups are grandpups from Damron's Halftrack. I have a male and female from the same cross that are 1 year old They are hard hunters and very fast. The male came in second place in the UKC Virginia State hunt.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Just a comment I'd like to pass along. I was told by an older beagler that has been around the circuit a lot that "Ellison Ridge Redman was one of the finest rabbit dogs to ever wear a collar." That was his words verbatim (and he didn't own the dog). :cool:

CPC

I will say the same about Redman

Post by CPC »

I hunted behind Redman. He was 1st class. Jumped a lot of rabbits.
CPC

Rosewood

Post by Rosewood »

CPC
Since you hunted behind him maybe you could tell me about some of his traits and mannerisms?
I'm curious about hunt, speed, accuracy, stamina, and anything else you can tell me about him.
I like the ones I have that have his name in the pedigree several times I am wondering if what I like is coming from him?

CPC

Post by CPC »

Rosewood
I didn't get to rough for Redman. He hunted in thick cover, He knew where to look for the rabbit. Don didn't have to put him in the cover. If he opened the rabbit was up. Had med to fast speed but not wild. Ran with his nose, could gear down and track across dirt if needed. He handled good and hunted hard all day. He was trash free. You said the ones you had out of him only hunted hard a couple days then their body wore down. I think this is the case of any hound that is hunted day in and day out. I. MYSELF, have never seen a hound of any bloodline be able to hunt 8 hrs a day for 3 or 4 days. I have been told they could but when I went with them, it was a bad week for them, they wore down just like my hounds did.

Back to Redman, He was what I want in a hound. He could hunt hard, run a good line, pick up where the line was lost and handle good. Loved the gun. I still have his line of hounds.

Hope this helps
CPC
CPC