Considering breeding - questions on research . . .

...on the ancestry of your new hound? This is your forum. Post your question and others will fill in the blanks for you. This is also a good forum for asking about particular hounds and bloodlines (past or present) when considering a breeding or purchase, or just breeding questions in general.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kidspot

Considering breeding - questions on research . . .

Post by kidspot »

It's good to see so many from beaglesunlimited over here - Been awhile since I posted there and now I find the American Beagler :)

Anyway - here's the "scoop" - I have an 11 month old beagle whom I had to go out of country to find ( http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dogsbody/ ) because of the shortage of good "stock" in my state (Hawaii) Even the beagle clubs here shut down a couple of years ago. The line I got mine from is an exceptional show line (sorry field guys - she's been bred for confirmation and temprament - though I am still planning on doing scent work with her to test the line in that area) Since I went through so much to get her and there are so few beagles in my state (only two in my town - one other 8 year old bitch) I am "considering" breeding her in order to help bring them back here again.

Here are my current goals - but maybe you can help me see my direction more clearly or point out the pitfalls.

I want to stay away from lines with health issues - the line I'm breeding from has no known history of health problems (I've traced it back about 9 generations and neither I nor the breeders I got her from are aware of any health issues in the line)

I need to keep size in mind - English standard is only 13 - 16 inches. So they tend to run too large for U.S. standards (mine is pushing 14" and is the smallest bitch ever produced from this kennel)

Personality is very important to me - As there is little hunting here I am looking at good show/companion dogs - so a stable temprament is important.

I will probably need to consider A.I. as well since I'm not yet aware of any dogs in state that will meet my criteria (though I would love to discover otherwise!) Thus finding a stud dog is a big obstacle.

I cannot be a "Kennel" because of my housing situation, but I want to do my part for introducing some "new blood" to my area that will be good for the reputation of the beagle and make it a bit easier for the "next guy" who wants to know the joy of owning a good beagle.

-----
So with all that said . . . Where should I start? And what should I be concerned about? Maybe you don't think it's a good idea - I'm ready for some good advice both for and against. And if you think it's a good idea I'd like your advice on researching and finding a stud dog out of state or Kennel that might be of help.

Here's the website for my dog, Shelby, if you'd like to check her out http://home.hawaii.rr.com/alohagrace

Thanks - Tim :D

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Don't really have an answer for you yet kidspot, but welcome to The American Beagler board. Shelby is one good-lookin' lady! I wouldn't have any qualms about her ability to track. Most show lines have been bred for conformation, but they haven't had the tracking or hunt bred out of them - it's still there. We rabbit hunters have to come back from the brace influence that was never introduced into the show lines. Just give her tracks and she will follow.

AI is an excellent way to get her bred considering your distance, but you may have to pay thru the nose to get frozen semen to you in Hawaii. Good luck, I'm sure some of the other guests here will have some suggestions.

kidspot

Post by kidspot »

Thanks for the kind words about my pup Bev - Do you (or someone else) know about what kind of expense I'd be looking at using frozen semen shipped in (including vet bills, etc..)? Is $1000 about the right ball park or should I prepare myself for "Sticker Shock?" I have seen stud dog fees ranging from $100-$300 so I figured triple that might be what I needed to prepare for. Anyone else gone this route when breeding their bitch? I'd love to hear your stories!

Mahalo (thanks)
Tim