Hi

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bunny Runner

Post by Bunny Runner »

Calm down boys!!!

Ashley,
Don't listen to the "guys" on here! LOL.

Jake is a handsome fella and I am sure that given the chance, he would run a bunny!
As Carolyn has pointed out, a beagles nose is in control.

I admire you doing such good work with your local shelter! Keep it up, however, I know it's very hard on the emotions.
Education, Preservation, and Conservation ensures a "WILD" future for our children!

lee ga

Post by lee ga »

hi ashlee, welcome to the board. people here are friendly and very helpful, im sure you will enjoy and find all types of good info that would help any beagle owner......lee

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I will say this,

If you've never owned a beagle, you will find him to be one of the most loyal companions you can have. Beagles can be hard headed but even when hard headed, they can be very loyal.

I know all 9 of mine are.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Cork Legue

Post by Cork Legue »

Ashlee I think everybody should own a beagle!
I also live in Michigan, I breed and train beagles and would be glad to help with questions!

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Ashlee, you have come to the right place if you are looking for beagle lovers. If you have come seeking the truth, sorry 'bout yer luck. Beaglers are notorious for stretching the truth until it squeaks. You have a fine looking beagle and I appreciate your rescuing him as you did. IF there were more like you at yor age, there would be fewer problems all around. Obviously, a parent or parents have taught you proper values. I have a 4-year old daughter and have pics of her loving on puppies that we have had in the not-too-distant past. Our beagles are pets first, hunting dogs next, then field trial dogs. IF there is a beagle club near you, check it out. Chances are there are people your age who are have the same interests in beagles. In fact, Lynn Perkins, who frequents this board, has two teenage daughters who help raise puppies and own some of the hounds in his kennel outright. Best wishes, and good luck with Jake. He will give you many years of companionship. The great thing about beagles is that no matter how down we get, they are ready with a tail wag and a lick to the hand.

MIKE

Post by MIKE »

DRAMEY, DO YOU MEAN THAT SHE WOULDN'T BELIEVE THAT MY DOGS CAN TRAIL A CATFISH UPSTREAM ???? LOL
MIKE

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I have also trained beagles in obedience. In 1976 I was 16 yrs old and competed with a beagle in Obedience Competition Trials. Finished in the top 10 nationaly. If you have any training problems or are interested in getting obedience titles in your area send me a PM. Can help you find clubs in your area. UKC Obedienc trials are great fun! My dogs are also house pets and hunting competition dogs. I helped teach obedience classes for several years. Best of luck. Dan M
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It's obvious I did come to the right place! Thanks to everyone for being so willing to help educate me on the beagle breed. I want to give Jake the best life possible. He is very important to me. I've honestly never met a more friendly dog. He loves everybody and other dogs. I think I'm sold on the beagle breed, and once I have my own home, I will probably be rescuing more beagles. I don't think there are any beagle clubs near me so I plan to get Jake in a tracking class, to give him something to do.
Dramey, thankyou for the kind words. My parents would be very proud to see those, im sure. Touchtone, that's a really cool accomplsihment! Jake has done soo much better with the obedience class, it was really worth the $80 I paid for it! One of Jakes Obedience instructors told me about something I could sign up for with the AKC but just not compete in Confirmation because Jake was "obviously a beagle." I will have to find out more about that. I don't think I would want to do competitve Obedience with Jake, because he is stubborn at time, but he did come in a lot around 3rd place in the games we played last night! I was very proud of him! Thank-you all so much for being willing to help me, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions.

buckridge

Post by buckridge »

WELCOME, BE SURE TO LOOK AT ALL THE DIFFERENT FORUMS WITHIN THIS LINK
Jim Bucksot
Buckridge Kennel
Greenwood In.

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Best of luck to you and your hound and don't be a stranger here, drop in for a chat every now and then.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

ky joe

Post by ky joe »

jakes a good lookin dog. Ashlee not to bad either. welcome ashlee
Jonathon Fulks

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Pixels,

If you will give your town or general area in Michigan, you might get some help from guys on here with clubs in your area. Most are not advertised. There could be one right down the road from you and you might not know it.

Heck, there are some within 30 minutes of me that I've never been to. lol

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

MIKE wrote:ALL OF A SUDDEN POOR OL JAKE DON'T LOOK SO GOOD NOW.
MIKE
ROFL!!! I din't know what the heck you meant when I first read your post - then took another look at the pic :twisted: LOL!!!

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

I live in Escanaba, MI. Any help would be appreciated finding a 'beagle club'. I could probably go as far as Green Bay WI.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Try http://www.ukcdogs.com

http://www.rabbithuntingonline.com

http://www.beagleboard.com

Just put up a post asking if there is any clubs near you.