what would you guys do

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NathanA

what would you guys do

Post by NathanA »

I have a black and tan female she is 5 and i've had her for 3yrs she hunts hard and has a great nose and she can hold a line great. However she does bark a little early on frosty mornings and sometimes in the spring but in the spring most of the time she will produce a rabbit. I'm thinking about getting ride of her to make room for some pups but i don't know if i should because of her just barking a bite early. She is a ukc show champion and has did well in the trials as well. I haven't ran her in trials for awhile because i have been focusing on my 2year old female. So back to my question should i sale or not.
Thanks
Nathan

Cannon Hollow Hounds

Post by Cannon Hollow Hounds »

Just from what you said, sounds like one of them hounds you sell and then regret it down the road..lol.. not trying to say what you should do, but most of us have made that mistake a time or two. But do what makes ya happy, then live with it. Good luck, CHH

Roy Pasmore

?

Post by Roy Pasmore »

If I become unsatisfied with A dog for what ever reason. I sell it . Some times it may be my best dog but for what ever the reason I became unsatisfied it will bug me untel I let the dog go. Just my thoughts on the subject.
The view is all ways the same from behind.

FetchingPixels

Re: ?

Post by FetchingPixels »

Roy Pasmore wrote:If I become unsatisfied with A dog for what ever reason. I sell it . Some times it may be my best dog but for what ever the reason I became unsatisfied it will bug me untel I let the dog go. Just my thoughts on the subject.
And that's when dogs end up in the shelter if the new owners don't like it and people like me pick up the peices. My god the way some of you people think dogs are disposable really bothers me. Beagles are in the top 5# of breeds in the shelter. My advice get her fixed.

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Hi Pixles, I can see how you might get a bad impression from some of the wording in certain posts. All I can say is that I do my best to make sure that none of my dogs will ever end up in a shelter. If I don't have a GOOD home approved for them they stay right here until I do.
Best,
Cindy
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

In my opinion they don't make a perfect dog, and you will find a problem
with any hound. The question is some faults you can live with and some
you can't. I would not sell a hound just on barking early, unless you
were using her just for trialing. I can tolerate a little more in a gun dog, I guess it also depends on if the dog is just barking a little early, or just boo hooing.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:Hi Pixles, I can see how you might get a bad impression from some of the wording in certain posts. All I can say is that I do my best to make sure that none of my dogs will ever end up in a shelter. If I don't have a GOOD home approved for them they stay right here until I do.
Best,
Cindy
From some of the replies I read on here, I'm not convinced anyone is a good reputable breeder. I never hear any mentions of spay/neuter contracts, no mention of taking the puppy back if the owners can't care for it anymore. No mention of health testing on the parents' even before breeding them. Nothing, like that I ever hear. If I did believe in breeding, I certainly wouldn't buy from the majority of you people here from what I read anyways. I couldn't imagine treating my dog like he's disposable, the moment I adopted him I made a commitment to him for the rest of his life. He's a member of a family, not something I would sell or trade ever.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

HPH.

I did read your website, your breeding sounds better than other stuff I hear on here, so I do apologize to you.

bill baker

culls

Post by bill baker »

the best to take of your culls is the old lead pill, it helps the breed so someone don,t breed these culls. thats part of the problem people let greed take hold of them instead of taking care of the problem.

Honey Pot Hounds

FetchingPixels wrote:HPH.

I did read your website, your breeding sounds better than other stuff I hear on here, so I do apologize to you.
No problem. This isn't a breeders forum per say...this is more of a hunting dog forum and the guys are very blunt. If you are very sensitive than you will have a hard time here. The guys are not going to go easy on you and right now I think you have set yourself up for some nasty posts. These are good guys for the most part but they have their own ways and are pretty set in them.
I am NOT trying to run you off, but if you find yourself more miserable than happy here, there are a lot of other beagle forums where the majority of folks are pet owners and that may be a more compatible place for you. Particularly the Yahoo Group Beagle Buddies comes to mind.
Best,
Cindy
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:
FetchingPixels wrote:HPH.

No problem. This isn't a breeders forum per say...this is more of a hunting dog forum and the guys are very blunt. If you are very sensitive than you will have a hard time here. The guys are not going to go easy on you and right now I think you have set yourself up for some nasty posts. These are good guys for the most part but they have their own ways and are pretty set in them.
I am NOT trying to run you off, but if you find yourself more miserable than happy here, there are a lot of other beagle forums where the majority of folks are pet owners and that may be a more compatible place for you. Particularly the Yahoo Group Beagle Buddies comes to mind.
Best,
Cindy
I do not care what "these guys" have to say. I know better then to let internet people get to me. I realize that it's a hunting dog forum, "and people are set in their ways", but that doesn't change the fact of their contribution to the beagles that end up in shelters, or that end up in shelters and get sold for Medical Research. How do they feel about their precious beagles then?
I'm not interested in joining a yahoo group, I dislike those things, but thanks anyways! And It takes a whole lot to run me off a board. So when will the 'nasty' posts begin? I like a good fight.

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

Fetching I'm not gonna be hard on ya here . I'm gonna be very truthful with you most hunting beagles never end up in a shelter . There is a saying " one mans junk is another mans gold " and that is how it works in the world of hunting .Dogs go from one hunter to another hunter . Thats how I came to have my dogs they were to slow for someone else liking but they fit me perfectly . I worked in a shelter many moons ago and it's not the hunting dogs that end up in the shelter it is the pup that someone bought as a pet and didn't have a clue as to what to do when raising it then when things go sideways they dump it . Just cause no one happens to mention all the things that you brought up such as health checks does not mean that they are not practiced.I dont know of a hunter personally that would breed without a health check. As far as dealings that is mostly done on a one on one basis everyone does it there own way. My dogs came to me in a gentlemans handshake no contracts necessary . You seem to be confused as to how the hunting dog world works. You might want to set back and learn a thing or 2 before you go to running off at folks and you will probably find that the average hunter cares for his dogs way more than the average pet owner .

Honey Pot Hounds

I agree with Gbeagle. Most of the dogs in shelters don't come from someone who is active in hunting or showing dogs. They mostly come from the people who sell puppies in pet stores or through newspaper ads.
I would certainly bet money that they don't come from folks that are so interested in Beagles that they would ever bother to read this forum. Very few, if any.

Cindy
Last edited by Honey Pot Hounds on Mon May 22, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Fetching I'm not gonna be hard on ya here . I'm gonna be very truthful with you most hunting beagles never end up in a shelter . There is a saying " one mans junk is another mans gold " and that is how it works in the world of hunting .Dogs go from one hunter to another hunter . Thats how I came to have my dogs they were to slow for someone else liking but they fit me perfectly . I worked in a shelter many moons ago and it's not the hunting dogs that end up in the shelter it is the pup that someone bought as a pet and didn't have a clue as to what to do when raising it then when things go sideways they dump it . Just cause no one happens to mention all the things that you brought up such as health checks does not mean that they are not practiced.I dont know of a hunter personally that would breed without a health check. As far as dealings that is mostly done on a one on one basis everyone does it there own way. My dogs came to me in a gentlemans handshake no contracts necessary . You seem to be confused as to how the hunting dog world works. You might want to set back and learn a thing or 2 before you go to running off at folks and you will probably find that the average hunter cares for his dogs way more than the average pet owner .

Most eloquently put... ;) 5 stars *****

beerdrinking bob

Post by beerdrinking bob »

nathan if you gun hunt and shes a good gundog id keep her. if you dont gun hunt much and just trial id sell her or give her to yungster who is just getting started.