what would you guys do

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bill baker

dogs

Post by bill baker »

pixie or whatever you call yourself you sound more and more like one of those animal rights activist. some dogs belong in the pound.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Gbeagle wrote:Fetching I'm not gonna be hard on ya here . I'm gonna be very truthful with you most hunting beagles never end up in a shelter . There is a saying " one mans junk is another mans gold " and that is how it works in the world of hunting .Dogs go from one hunter to another hunter . Thats how I came to have my dogs they were to slow for someone else liking but they fit me perfectly . I worked in a shelter many moons ago and it's not the hunting dogs that end up in the shelter it is the pup that someone bought as a pet and didn't have a clue as to what to do when raising it then when things go sideways they dump it . Just cause no one happens to mention all the things that you brought up such as health checks does not mean that they are not practiced.I dont know of a hunter personally that would breed without a health check. As far as dealings that is mostly done on a one on one basis everyone does it there own way. My dogs came to me in a gentlemans handshake no contracts necessary . You seem to be confused as to how the hunting dog world works. You might want to set back and learn a thing or 2 before you go to running off at folks and you will probably find that the average hunter cares for his dogs way more than the average pet owner .
I never pretended to know how the hunting world worked. I joined here to help educate me on my beagle that I adopted from the pound. I want to give him the best life possible so I thought hey want not join a board about beagles so I could learn a thing or two. And also your last statement about caring more about the average pet owner, that may be so.. Some may. But to make some comments like as to "If I'm not happy with a dog for whatever reason I sell it", sounds pretty disposable to me. Guess who picks up the peices? Guess who goes to the shelter and walks their dog? Who plays with it, and gives it attention... Or tries desperately to find a home, or is there in the last moments of it's life because it couldn't find a home and more dogs come in... Shelter Volunteers & Workers.

Bill Baker, we could do better without some people too.
No dog belongs in the pound.. Problems are from irresponsible people, not animals. And no, Im not an Animal Rights Activist, I just try to do my part in society, to be a good person and go an extra mile to help out with problems other people create.

gus

Post by gus »

No group is completely innocent. Several years ago I had a beagler acquainance who was and is still a very devoted show beagler. I drove up to breed to one of her several show champions. One of the more prominent show breeders had recently decided to quit beagling. If I remember correctly, it was a member of the prominent Dupont family. Since word spread that a very successful breeder was quitting, several show beaglers, including my friend drove over with hopes of picking up some outstanding hounds. She was very disappointed in the conditions of the kennel. She said most of the hounds were in poor condition and it was obvious that they were not being properly cared for. She bought one nice bred bitch that I saw.
So it's not only a few of the beaglers who frequent these boards that appear irresponsible. When we talk about competition, the majority are unfit as a top of the line competitor whether it be field trials or the show ring. The others are disposed of somehow.

beerdrinking bob

Post by beerdrinking bob »

i think of my hunting dogs as my buddies. if they dont hunt or they cant be broke off deer. then i sell them or i give them away. i dont think any dog belongs in the pound. a 10 cent piece of led keeps them out of the pound. if u spade your akc hunting dog you should just go ahead and put a 10 cent piece of led in their head.

hardtack

pup

Post by hardtack »

:angryfire:
Last edited by hardtack on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

Again Pixel you are confused lots of hounds get sold everyday because they just don't fit or sometimes you just don't like them , but us hunters are a pretty close group no matter how much we may argue about which style dog is the best . For the most part are dogs don't go to the pound shelter or rescue( there is always an exception ) our dogs are sold to another hunter that the dog fits with . " One mans junk is another mans gold ". I know of a fellow that just gave away hound to someone else to use as a puppy starter because she couldn't keep up with the pack anymore ,but she still has the desire to run a rabbit . The reason he did this because he couldn't stand to leave her at home and watch her die away not doing what she desired to do . Now if that ain't love for your animal I don't know what to tell you , and believe me there are whole bunch more houndspeople out there just like him . Now you said came here to learn set back and learn instead of trying to stand in judgement as to how someone handles his/her dogs. You come off as if we are a bunch of heartless yokels who don't care nothing about our hounds . Believe me we care enough about them to put them in the proper place where they will be able to achieve the best for them and to do what they desire .
Guess who picks up the peices? Guess who goes to the shelter and walks their dog? Who plays with it, and gives it attention... Or tries desperately to find a home, or is there in the last moments of it's life because it couldn't find a home and more dogs come in... Shelter Volunteers & Workers
Not you or anyone else in the shelter because as stated before very few hunting beagles end up there . I can't think of one hunter in all my years that has taken a rabbit dog to the pound . Now sold or gave them to another hunter YES .
Say It with me LOL " One mans junk is another mans gold ".

bill baker

dogs

Post by bill baker »

pixel i agree about some people being bad but most of them are in the big house.

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

hardtrack.
I could barely get through your post, it is very hard to read without more proper grammar. I am very bad at grammar but what I write is at least readable/understandable. Becareful what I drag out of the pound? . The majority of animals that are "drug" out of the pound are temperment tested. And the way some dogs get the way they do is because of the PEOPLE. They die because of the people not taking the responsibility and time to train them properly. .

I adopted a 5 year old beagle from the shelter, that nobody took the time to train. I signed him up in obedience class and paid 80$, it was the least I could do for him and us. He can now walk properly on a leash, sit, sit & stay, lie down, lie down and stay, and leave it.. And he can also shake and wave that I've taught him personally how to do. And by the way, I have a wonderful dog that I got from the shelter, and I know many other people that would agree with that. He's a joy now, and that was all w/in an 8 week training course!

--
Also, I am not convinced 'your dogs' do not end up in the shelters. Up here I see, Labs as #1, Huskys as #2, and Beagles, yes beagles #3 in the shelters. I understand that hunters have their own dog worlds' going on, but I'm just shocked at how disposable dogs come off as being here. I guess we will just have to agree to think differently, I guess.

I am also shocked at some of your opinions as dogs in the pound. There are so many wonderful dogs in the pound, that often get overlooked... It's just a sad cycle because of too many attitudes like what I've seen here, and too many people that do not take responsibility.
--
Bill Baker, not enough of them are there.

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

FetchingPixels wrote: I adopted a 5 year old beagle from the shelter, that nobody took the time to train. I signed him up in obedience class and paid 80$, it was the least I could do for him and us. He can now walk properly on a leash, sit, sit & stay, lie down, lie down and stay, and leave it.. And he can also shake and wave that I've taught him personally how to do. And by the way, I have a wonderful dog that I got from the shelter, and I know many other people that would agree with that. He's a joy now, and that was all w/in an 8 week training course!
Way to go! Teaching a Beagle obedience can be tough...I can only imagine how tough it must be to teach to a 5 year old Beagle who has had a complicated past! Although I have a feeling you are going to tell me he learned it easy and with no problems ;) He is a very pretty boy too. Good for you Pixie. I think he knows that he is home now.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

allen keller

dogs

Post by allen keller »

pixels at first i was thinking jake was a lucky dog now i think it would be better for him to have been put down. it is now clear that you know very little about hounds or hunting. a beagle is not lap dog, or will it ever be happy being one. you do come as off as bill baker stated;

FetchingPixels

Post by FetchingPixels »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:
FetchingPixels wrote: I adopted a 5 year old beagle from the shelter, that nobody took the time to train. I signed him up in obedience class and paid 80$, it was the least I could do for him and us. He can now walk properly on a leash, sit, sit & stay, lie down, lie down and stay, and leave it.. And he can also shake and wave that I've taught him personally how to do. And by the way, I have a wonderful dog that I got from the shelter, and I know many other people that would agree with that. He's a joy now, and that was all w/in an 8 week training course!
Way to go! Teaching a Beagle obedience can be tough...I can only imagine how tough it must be to teach to a 5 year old Beagle who has had a complicated past! Although I have a feeling you are going to tell me he learned it easy and with no problems ;) He is a very pretty boy too. Good for you Pixie. I think he knows that he is home now.
The dog in your avatar is very beautiful aswell. And no it wasn't easy, he's just very food motivated. He acts like I starve him sometimes (He was chubby before, and I've trimmed him down some), so is willing to do anything for a treat. Thank-you, I think so too! I've sure had to get used to going for a walk 5 times a day (I live in an apartment), everday lol. They call him a 'real chow hound' at his obedience classes, lol. Thank-you for the compliment, I'm blessed to have such a wonderful dog in my life. I can't wait to add more when I have my own place.

six shooter

dog

Post by six shooter »

pixels why don,t you take your ugly face to a pet forum;

FetchingPixels

Re: dog

Post by FetchingPixels »

six shooter wrote:pixels why don,t you take your ugly face to a pet forum;

Oh that's very mature.

Greg H

Post by Greg H »

Nathan,
Unless the early barking is disrupting your pack and is the only thing that you don't like about you bitch then I would say hang onto her. A cold nose can come in mighty handy on those less then ideal scenting days.

Fetchingpixels,
I commend you for saving the life of a homeless dog, beagle or not. That being said I cannot agree with your vendetta against beaglers. These people (beaglers in general) take more responsability for their actions than any other group. The beagles you are seeing in the shelters are not coming from Hunting dog breeders or Show dog breeders. The puppy mills are the ones responsibly. They will breed as many of whatever dog is popular just to make a buck. Remember after Walt Disney release 101 Dalmations the next spring the shelters were overrun with Dalmations. The people on this board are nothin but hardcore beagle freaks that strive to have the best hounds they can have. Huntin dogs are buddies. They come and they go, but most die where they had their best days.

NC rabbit hunter

Post by NC rabbit hunter »

I would not be able to sleep knowing I had one of my beagles living in an apartment!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter how many times you walk him he will never get the exercise that he truly desires ,and needs for as being a beagle.If beagles did not have the desire to be natural born hunters and the will to run a rabbit for hours at a time,and still come out with tails wagging then yes they would love an apartment!! Beagles start running rabbits on their own for a reason,THEY ARE BORN TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And yes I have a Boston Terrier and a chihuahua that live in my house.I live on a 200 acre farm and you cannot make those 2 go out of the house for more than a couple of minutes.Now those are house pets There is a reason why you go to the beach and see all those overweight beagles walking around on leashes,I think I just explained it very well! But opinions are like #@$holes,every one has one,just my two cents.Every one have a good night!!!! :(
We Hunt And Recommend Bluetick Beagles!!!