Do you or would you give a trial on a dog!!!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mud

Post by mud »

I will never buy another dog unless I know the dog,watch it run,or take it on trial.If I do one of the above and make a mistake on a hound then it's my baby and I will rock it.To many variables to take a mans word.I try to do my homework beforeI see the dog in the field by asking questions that are important to me. After owning and running hounds for almost 40 years I have owned 2 outstanding ones.My share of decent ones and plenty of sorry ones.A hunting buddy gave me good advice years ago. If a hound is truly that good it needs no advertising.A hunting buddy, local hunter, or trialer will own it. If I stray form that It usually cost me money.I don't expect to find a good hound on the net.To those that do more power to you.Just my thoughts

eddywilliams

sell

Post by eddywilliams »

Thanks johnny ringo im glad you have him and hes not far away alot of them i sell go out of state and i never see them again they take a little away from you with them as far as secrets i have a few ive been training dogs for 30 yrs now you can intensify a hound to bring out the best in them you first got to spend time with them just you and them they respect you after awhile and want to please you it works for me plus a few other tricks , enjoy that chase with him hammering every breath TURBO STYLE , and maybe youll think of old fast eddy with a kind thought ive had a lot of tough hounds go to good people thats what i like doing i guess thanks again

eddywilliams

sell

Post by eddywilliams »

Thanks johnny ringo im glad you have him and hes not far away alot of them i sell go out of state and i never see them again they take a little away from you with them as far as secrets i have a few ive been training dogs for 30 yrs now you can intensify a hound to bring out the best in them you first got to spend time with them just you and them they respect you after awhile and want to please you it works for me plus a few other tricks , enjoy that chase with him hammering every breath TURBO STYLE , and maybe youll think of old fast eddy with a kind thought ive had a lot of tough hounds go to good people thats what i like doing i guess thanks again

kjohn2hunt

Post by kjohn2hunt »

If he doesn't have the money then and there hes's not taking any dog home....

jonnyringo

Re: sell

Post by jonnyringo »

eddywilliams wrote:Thanks johnny ringo im glad you have him and hes not far away alot of them i sell go out of state and i never see them again they take a little away from you with them as far as secrets i have a few ive been training dogs for 30 yrs now you can intensify a hound to bring out the best in them you first got to spend time with them just you and them they respect you after awhile and want to please you it works for me plus a few other tricks , enjoy that chase with him hammering every breath TURBO STYLE , and maybe youll think of old fast eddy with a kind thought ive had a lot of tough hounds go to good people thats what i like doing i guess thanks again
You're welcome to run with me anytime Eddy. I like dealing with honest people in a world full of dishonest people. Alls I can say is Yogi is one great hound. I think the good Lord was smiling at me the day I got Yogi. I have been smiling everyday since.
Thanks
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

eddywilliams

yes

Post by eddywilliams »

its hard to let a good one go but i got some more like him that eases the pain alittle , good luck eddy

MasonsBeagles

s

Post by MasonsBeagles »

mud they are on here. very rarely do i sell grown dogs on here, but i have sold a few. if they are culls i practice the 3-S's. But the ones I have personally sold I have been honest to the T. I dont mind telling the good, bad and the ugly. If I put my name on it then it will be told as is. I am just saying go watch a dog run make sure it is what you want. But personally when they are put in someone elses dog box and the collars are removed they are married to it For Better or For Worse.

Here are some examples of why I feel this way about selling a dog.

Like I said Ive witnessed on several occassions of good dogs being ruined by Idiots. A friend of mine sold a young dog years ago, Id gun hunted with the dog a couple dozen times. The guy brought the dog back and said he was gun shy. I myself told the guy he was full of crap. Come to find out he hooked the dog to his tailgate and unloaded a 12 ga semi right over his head to see if he was gun shy. Guess what it freaked the dog out. Another dog that I know of was sold to another idiot. this was a go getter of a hound. Guy took it out and zapped the bagibies out of it with the shock collar ever few minutes. Guess what he got to where he wouldnt hunt and barely leave the guys feet for fear of being shocked. There is a guy lives around Lebanon Junction. If you have a dog that is deer broke and want to get it back to running deer, Ill get his number for you. There are several around these parts that are sure he is doing something magical cause if he gets one it will definately run deer....LOL

Lone Pine Beagles

on trial

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

When i sell a running dog i give everyone a 14 day trial period cash in hand. I hold the AKC papers until after the 14 day period. This system has worked real well. I hate to see people especially teens, get screwed by dog jockies!

LPB

braden

Post by braden »

You cannot tell what a dog is by watching it 1 or 2 times. There are faults that may take several outings to see. If the dog is a long way off(travel time) i will get a trial for a week or i'll buy somewhere else. There are guys who only want to give trial at their place, but there are guys with just as good of dogs who will gladly give a week trial. If i give big money for a dog you better bet i'll get a week trial or i don't buy.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

What I will tell a perspective buyer is "all the trial you want here. We can run em any way you want to see em go,solo,packed up, use one of yours' for a measuring stick, run at night,daytime,wet weather, dry /no dew,etc.,etc. No excuses. BUT, when you are satisfied and have payed for him and left my yard with him------YOU OWN HIM!!!!!!!!
There are only 2 or 3 people that I know that I would let take one of my hounds home for a trial period and those guys WOULDN'T need to give me the money up-front. I think alot of my dogs and alot of those 2 or 3 friends.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

If you price 'em at about half or less what they are worth, like I do, they ain't coming back. If you try to rip off somebody like was on this board a while back with the shy dog, it will catch up with you sooner or later.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

For anyone to get screwed on a dog deal is usually the buyers own fault. Go watch the dog run before you buy it or know your seller. In the age internet it is not difficult to see who the bad guys are.
As far giving a dog to someone you don't know to try out is irresponsible. Read the post above about the guy who got screwed on two coonhounds. Once you get bit you'll be wise just like him. Read all the horror stories about guys giving dogs out for trial to strangers and the dog is either stolen, abused, bred, or worse. No dog of mine will get that treatment.

mud

Post by mud »

I am like Braden.If I can't try a dog or watch it run until I am satisfied either way I will just pass on the Hound.Their will be no hard feelings on my part. The owner of a hound can do what they please about price,trial no trial sell off the chain etc.The flip side of that is the buyer can simply look on.I only keep 3 or 4 dogs at any one time.I just pack run and gun hunt.If I am looking for another dog my expectation is to just find a decent dog to fit my needs.The truly good dog except on rare occasion is not out there.If it is to be found it will not be found on the net.I am not trying to offend anyone but anything can be put on the net by me and others it does not make it the truth again just my thoughts.To the beaglers that buy hounds online are are satisfied thats great.Only speaking for myself.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

mud wrote: .The truly good dog except on rare occasion is not out there.If it is to be found it will not be found on the net.I am not trying to offend anyone but anything can be put on the net by me and others it does not make it the truth again just my thoughts. .
Nothing could be further from the truth - that is my opinion.
There are many good dogs sold on the internet but not for puppy prices. If one wants a good dog he will have to get off some bucks. Too many guys want to pay under $300.00 (puppy price) for a good broke dog when a good one will start at $600.00 and go up from there. If someone is selling a broke dog for a puppy price I look elsewhere. If someone is asking a broke dog price I get interested. It takes a lot of balls to ask $600.00 or more for a piece of crap dog and I don't think too many guys are that bold. People have had their asses handed to them for less.

mud

Post by mud »

Johnny,I respect your thoughts just disagree buddy.No harm in that LOL