Whelping Box Plans

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Frank7ptbk

Whelping Box Plans

Post by Frank7ptbk »

Does anyone have plans for an inexpensive and easy to build whelping box?
Thank You,
Frank7ptbk

Stony Branch Kennels

Post by Stony Branch Kennels »

I know this sounds pretty wierd but if your looking for something thats well insulated, easy to clean and cheap try this....... Go to an appliance dealer and find you a chest freezer that no longer works. Most places will give them to you if you haul them off. They come in many sizes so just keep looking till you find one the size you want. Most of them have a small square area in the back where the compressor is located. Take the compressor out and cut the lines off. Cut hole the size you want behind where the compressor sits and into the inside of the chest freezer. I line the opening with half inch plywood so there is no chance of any sharp edges to cut the dogs. You can put outdoor carpet inside if you like. You wont find anything insulated any better and you have a nice hinged top and even a light that comes on when you open the lid if you wish. The only draw back is they tend to be a little heavy.

Lefgren-Lane

Post by Lefgren-Lane »

A plastic motor mixing box and some 3 foot welded wire around the outside will work. I usually cut a piece of pressboard to fit the bottom and the wrap a blanket around it. The board keeps the blanket straight on the bottom of the box and it is easy to change and wash etc. You can make a top or frame the sides by using 1 inch pvc pipe and a few fittings to make the appropriate size panels. Cable ties (they get brittle and dogs can chew them off) or better yet use wire ties (go to a contractor supply store and get a pack of precut 6 inch wire ties, about 4 bucks for 400 or so) They already have a loop on each end. Buy a wire twister also. Great to have around a kennel for quick fixes, temp wire ups etc. (The wire ties and twister are what iron workers use to tie re-bar mats etc together.) Cheap and quick.

Lefgren-Lane

Post by Lefgren-Lane »

Let me try again. How about a plastic mortor mixing box. OK. A bit late.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I got my motor all mixed up, now what do I do?...lol...Hi Dan...Patch