Purina Hi Pro

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

I fed HI PRO for few months last year and my dogs looked horrible i had to feed them alot and the stool was bright yellow.

I switched over to Buckeye dog food and i've been feeding it ever since with good results.

william lyons

Post by william lyons »

I feed the hi pro very well satisfied. The stool is a little bit soft but my dogs are all inside and on wire so i like it that way. My old female just did not have the energy she once had put her on pro plan looks like a 3 year old again..If i could i would feed it to all my dogs....

heartland5

Post by heartland5 »

I have been feeding hi-pro but am thinking of trying something else.Does antone know who carries black gold in central ohio?I have heard nothing but good feedback on it.Brian

B.Trull

hi pro

Post by B.Trull »

My dogs do well on Hi-Pro. I gave up on Diamond. Cant find Joy around here or I would give it a try. I am paying 17$ plus tax for a 50lb bag of hi-pro

full circle kennel

Post by full circle kennel »

pztrailman, sorry i been away for a bit. i'm trying joy super meal on the vet rec. i talked to the man for over an hour on nutrition. he concluded that the joy super meal is actually the old hi pro formula from way back. anyway, he went on to tell me alot of things that day about foods and vitamins.he was big on the foods not containg msg or any of it hidden names. i know the ingredients are not impressive but i'm going to try it anyway. he also rec to add their canned chicken or beef if you want more protein and fat. by supplementing the numbers go to 29/17 i think. i really can say anything negative about the food right now. usually i'm running 4 days a week so they are getting alot of exercise. the dogs i do have on it are eager to eat it and are slick and have seemingly the same energy as the others so far. i'm not done yet. the others are being tried on some differant foods for my own comparisons.

Greg H

Post by Greg H »

A few months ago I switch from Pro Plan to One and then to Hi Pro. Couldn't tell much difference between P.P and One, but had twice as much waste with Hi Pro. And as stated earlier it was yellow and soft. Switched back to Pro Plan this month and waste is back down and dark and hard. Never saw any changes in the dogs, they stayed slick, I just couldn't deal with all the crap.

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

heartland5, There is a drive thru on 95 a 1/2 mile east of 71 that carries black gold.

windsplitters

purina

Post by windsplitters »

I feed Purina One does a great job for me dogs look good they have plenty of energy and not much waste its a little expencive but I think it is worth it.

Cottontail Chaser

Post by Cottontail Chaser »

I too used to feed Purina Hi Pro and my dogs did not do well as a group. Alot of waste and some dogs did not keep weight and some of them had poor coats so I did the same thing Full Circle Kennels did by buying a bag of 5 different brands and putting each dog on a bag and fed the same amounts until the bags were gone. I used Purina Hi Pro, Eukanuba Premium Performance, Pro Plan Chicken & Rice, Joy High Energy, Kasco Purple Bag..Purina Hi Pro yielded the poorest results,next was Kasco Purple Bag, Joy High Energy. The two better bags were Pro Plan Chicken & Rice and Eukanuba Premuim Performance but the Eukanuba dogs had better coats and and great appetites and dark stool so I favored the Eukanuba. The other thing is the Premuim Performance will add weight very quickly to your dogs if you do not run them, if you slow down on your running then go to the Maintenance Formula and this keeps them looking good and healthy. I have also used the Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy and your puppys will be the healthiest,slickest energy balls you have ever seen. I switch the pregnant gyp to this feed ( Eukanuba Puppy Small Breed Formula ) one week before she is due to whelp and for the next 6 weeks after, she will not be pulled down nearly as bad on this feed with all the protien and Fat in the ingredients she will be healthy and produce rich milk. I have tried and performed my test and these were the results, best if you guys tried the different bags yourself. Eukanuba is very expensive but I kennel only 4 dogs and my two house dogs and they too are on Eukanuba... I would like to try Black Gold and Pride on my Beagles as its cheaper too see if my dogs perform well on it.

dogrunnerone

Post by dogrunnerone »

I used to feed Hi-Pro and saw the same results as others with the stool. I switched to Pro Plan Chicken and Rice, it was costing more but with the weight circles it helped. I now have a deal that can't be beat if you like Pro Plan or Performance Pro Plan. I get either Pro Plan Chicken and Rice or the Performance Pro Plan for $20 a bag with the purchase of 5 or more bags and the dealer keeps the circles. What a deal. I have been gettting several guys around here their feed from this guy and they seem pretty happy too. If you are close to the Indianapolis area this guy can't be beat!

Craig
Craig A. Tull
3398 N. 130 W.
Frankfort, In
(765) 659-3959

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Steve Mikkelson wrote:I mix 60% pro plan with 40% High Pro. This has been the best for me. Dogs run and have endless energy.

I don't really care if there is a lot of waste as long as the food is providing the essential nutrients.
The problem is, if you're dogs are pooping in large amounts, they're NOT recieving the benefits of the "essential nutrients" the food contains. The vitamin mix is extremely important, but so is the bioavailability of the food. If its producing a high volume of stool, its actually not being digested or utilized well by the dog. When a feed is highly digestable & meat based, it will produce small, dark, firm, infrequent stools.