Opinion wanted

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

deerhost

Opinion wanted

Post by deerhost »

I,m new to this board and would like some opinons on a running dog I purchased a few weeks ago. I like the dog very much he's three years old. He handles very well and the second I let him loose in the woods he's in the briars looking for a rabbit. I've noticed that at first when he jumps a rabbit he will give a squeal or not fully open up and he will spend a few minutes in the spot trying to get a line on which way the rabbit went almost like he's in a check. He will backtrack on the line for ten yards then go forward and check a defferent direction almost like there is too much sent at the spot. But fianlly he will get the line on the rabbit and will open up real good. Once he's running the rabbit its a beautifull thing to see, Very nice line controll, short checks and he runs a rabbit tell I shoot it. MY question is, Is this extra time up front were the initial jump and start are normal or is it considered a fault ? It really does not bother me much because I,m only using the dog for hunting and he sure has no problem bringing the rabbit to the gun. But I'm just curiouse. I've only owned one other beagle years ago, so I only have that dog to compare it to, and just got back into beagling.....Thanks in advance.

ny hillbilly

Post by ny hillbilly »

deerhost,
I think in a way you answered your own question. If this hound gets in the brush, finds a rabbit, figures out which way to run it in short order and then circles it to the gun till you shoot it, you have a keeper. Fault? There will be lots of folks that can give endless OPINIONS on what is and is not faulty but if he pleases you and does the job you say then who can find fault? Good running to you and your new hound. :D
NYH

upshurbeagler

Post by upshurbeagler »

I don't see that as a fault at this point. A lot of what a dog does goes back to experience. There is a large amount of scent in the jump area making it difficult at times for the hound to decipher whitch way the rabbit went. As he gets older and more experienced you will see him have less problems lining out the track. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that most hounds come into thier own at 4 to 5 years old. It sounds as if you have a good rabbit dog. Just run him as much as you can and you will see the progression.
Ron Wyatt
Buckhannon, WV

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

ttttt

CHRIS WHITT

Post by CHRIS WHITT »

I have seen several dogs act that same,way usally pups when they are first getting soloed.I have found that the best thing for this is to run with a older hound that can find the line pretty quick,he will soon adjust and start figuing out the line quicker,but if your not planning on sale,trade or trial then I would only worry about how it works for you(you are the judge)no one else.
LP beagler from Kentucky

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Many times rabbits just jumped don't leave much scent at all for the first 10 to 20 yards and even an old dog will have trouble getting started. They may go back to the spot the rabbit was sitting in and bark in it. There's nothing wrong with your dog.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Just keep running him.
It may be the scenting conditions, it may be that he needs the experience.
You keep running him and decide if you like him, because you have to feed him.
No dog I own is near perfect, but I can live with thier faults.

That is really what you have to look at, "Can you live with a dog's faults?"
If not, send them down the road.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

nothing wrong with that hound, keep hunting, and have fun.
Big Mike

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Thanks for your input everyone.....Deerhost

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

I like the dog very much

what everyone else thinks really isn't worth anything. You are feeding him and what you think is the most important if you start paying any attention to everyone else you will never have anything any good., but it sounds like it migh be a dog I would like to have , Enjoy the dog and worry little about people . I promise you will have a better time. Good Luck!!!

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Aha man ,
Brother Harold (TN).
Run your dog all you can , he will learn everytime you take him. If that's the only fault you see in him ,I say he'll stop this in time. Feed what you like , they are yours.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Nothing wrong with your dog. He is just excited about kicking mr. bunnies butt. My dogs are more stealth-like but all dogs are different.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."