Are you more of a Field Trialer or Hunter.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Are you more of a Field Trialer or Hunter.

Post by Casey Harner »

I know that lots of people field trial here, probably more will field trial than hunt if given the chance. I see on lots of kennel websites that they say, that they will go hunting over field trials, but just curious if they are pulling our legs or not :lol:.

You can take this topic anyway you want, I'm not trying to stir the pot, just be honest. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Thanks

HH
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

fasttrackpa

Re: Are you more of a Field Trialer or Hunter.

Post by fasttrackpa »

From October to February we hunt. The rest of the year we trial.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

jt&z's dad

Post by jt&z's dad »

Hunter but mostly just run. I haven't field trialed since I was 14, almost 30 years now.
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

marr24

Post by marr24 »

We hunt during season and run/train the rest of the year. Trialing is fun every once in a while but with 3 kids involved in everything under the sun, it just doesn't fit into our schedule. Saturdays tend to be busy, busy and if we do get a chance to run/hunt on a Saturday it's going to be a lot longer than 1-2 hours, will involve more than 1 of our hounds, and it will be free! :D

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I do 20 trials a year but just do one when hunting season is in.I am going hunting first.I done a speed and drive trial sat and nothing there but hunters and had a great time.Everybody happy, but when I do one of them two couple pack or a spo trial were theres alot that donot hunt.Fuss Fuss Fuss.I am about to get ready and say if you donot gun hunt your dogs please donot come to a trial.I notice that there a big different in the people that donot hunt there dogs.They want everything perfect.I not saying everyone is like this but alot are.But again when you do a trial you can depend on these fellers to be there were the rabbit hunter will fish or hunt anything eles that in season.So You canot depend on them to be there.So it work good both ways.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

Go hunting first and a lot, leave field trialing for the off season.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I'm a rabbit hunter. I hunt hard during rabbit season. I run just about every weekend on the off season as well.

Field trials...

I go to one or two a year during the off season. Not really my thing but I enjoy them when I do go.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

i do both, but dont kill many rabbits at all.

Having said that the best trip I have been on Trialing and hunting combined was a trip to the UP Hare Hunting. I only killed 3 or 4 in a week, but the running was awesome. I could have killed plenty, but I would rather hear the race.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I like to do both,I don't kill many Rabbits,enough for a couple of messes and I've had enough. I realy like to trial but my opinion is that all it takes to win in the format I like (Mid West SPO) is a good Rabbit hound. With Gas prices and my work schedule trling is almost a thing of the past. I love running hounds and can run alot during the week so thats as much enjoyment for me as trialing.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I like to hunt and run dogs.
If there is a trial during hunting season - I probably won't be there because I am out hunting.
Many times I never shoot, even when I have shots. It is rare that I ever shoot more than one or two.
Other guys I hunt with shoot plenty of rabbits in front of my dogs.

The way to phrase the question is;
"It is mid rabbit season and there is a trial on Saturday. Are you going hunting or running the trial?"

Answer that question and you just stated your preference between trial and hunting.

Rainman

Post by Rainman »

I consider myself more of a Beagler than anything. Don't get me wrong, my dogs have alot of hare killed in front of them. It's just that I would rather listen to them run than anything else! Now my buddies might say I don't kill many because I can't shoot straight "lol" and there might be some truth to that, but I just love to listen to a pack run a good race! I trial 5-10 time a year but usually when season is out.
Darryl

Running hounds and listening to the orginal country music!

Randy Underwood

Post by Randy Underwood »

First and Formost I like to hear a good race
I dont trail, but do like to bring a couple bunnys home
for the skillett. I think if the gas keeps going up
theirs going to be a lot less of hunting and trailing.
Black Water Creek Kennels
Cassia FL.
Disabled Outdoorsman
Anyday Outdoors with Beagles
is Better then anyday indoors without them.
God is My Boss !

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

I TRIAL REGULARLY,I RUN DAILY,I WILL GO OUT AND KILL MAYBE THREE OR FOUR RABBITS A SEASON OVER MY DOGS,ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG ONES,IF I HUNT,IT HAS A RACK OR GOBBLES.

NOW,I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO GO HARE HUNTING,PLAN TOO SOMEDAY,BUT I AM HAPPY JUST SITTIN ON THE TAILGATE,BACKED UP TO A FIRE PIT,TELLIN LIES AMONG FRIENDS AND LISTENING TO THE SWEET SOUND OF HOUNDS POUNDIN THE GROUND INTO THE WEE HOURS OF NIGHT IN THE STRIP MINES..............
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

well whare do i start my dad took me out out rabbit hunting when i was 7 with a bb gun never got one till the single shot 20 gauge never had dogs beet the brush my self i guess i was the dog got to rabbit hunt with my first dog when i was abought 10 or 11 with my buddy across the street who had some dogs and his cousin tbrabbitman hooked up with him rabbit slayer tb who had great dogs we sit out thare all day waiting freeezing cold soking wet it didnt matter we love 2 hunt i would still go hunting when i didnt have a dog walk for miles and not get one and thank thare might be one miles away and keep on keepen on and a few months ago bought my first dog at 31. 6 week old with help from a few buddys and found out beagles are like a good potato chip cant just have 1 so i bought a 2 year old all ready runnin and now i cant wait cant wait cant wait to kill my first rabbit over my own dogs :cool:
DEADEYES POACHER

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

i run dogs
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com