Foot Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tinymwoods

Foot Question

Post by tinymwoods »

I was running my 9 month old gyp Friday night when she came back limping. I didn't see anything wrong and she seemed to walk better on it. We loaded up early Sunday and she was jumping on it fine. A little after we turned loose, she started limping again. About 4 hrs later, she was running a track with 3 legs. Her foot swelled up about twice the size of the other. Finally Tuesday night I ssen a big "blister" looking thing about 1" long by 1/2" tall between her toes on the top of her foot. Today it busted and she is still not putting weight on it. I gave her antibiotics and cleaned the area real good, but she is still hurting. Any suggestions on what else to do. Times are hard right now and I really can not afford a vet. Any help is appreciated!
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

ironjawdawgs

Re: Foot Question

Post by ironjawdawgs »

I would just clean it out real good, soak it in some epsensalts (Spelling) and put a good amount of Nu-Stock on it. I wouldn't rap it up unless she licks it all the time. Air would be the best thing for it I would guess! Don't know much but that's just what I would do.
Elliott

buffett

Post by buffett »

Sounds like it might be snakebite.....watch for it to get necrotic (rotten). Antibiotics are your friend.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Not sure if Nustock will help that. It's great on dew poisoning, mange, etc. but I don't know what happened to her foot. Antibiotics are a plus but keep it real clean and keep an eye on it. A buddy of mine had a dog this past summer fall victim to a foot wound and she was gone in 5 days. Could be a snakebite, one of my derby males was bitten by a copperhead last month right behind the 13th rib and it looked like a softball was inside him. Can you shave her foot and look for 2 puncture wounds? If it's a snakebite, her leg will get real swollen as well. If she's not getting better w/in a few days you might want to take her to a vet even if you can't afford it. Sometimes it's a LOT cheaper & easier to fix a problem early on than it is if you wait for it to progress and worsen. Just my 2 cents.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

She is doing alot better now. She is still limping a little, but walking on it. I have kept peroxiding it and giving her antibiotics. She seems to be doing alot better. There is no swelling in the legs or rotten place, so I guess it was just a thorn jammed in or something.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

WV Jaz

Post by WV Jaz »

Is she kenneled on wire? If so, it's possible that she's rubbed a place if the wire came up between her toes. I'm pretty sure that happened to a couple of mine and I took them off the wire for a few days and it helped heal the blisters. Good luck!!