New Garmin Astro (Review)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wvbill

Re: New Garmin Astro (Review)

Post by wvbill »

Multi - use radio service

Conventional Trackers probably wont be able to track it, but some scanner types might. (ICOM)
With out doing research for the exact frequencies, I would guess it should be in the VHF Spectrum some where around 150 mhz.

Bill
MOUNTAIN VIEW BEAGLES
"WHERE HUNT AND SHOW ARE ONE"
Martinsburg, WV

steve w

Post by steve w »

Here ya go NorWester, actually wvbill pretty much described it. http://www.provide.net/~prsg/murs_faq.htm

sgc

Post by sgc »

btt

sgc

Post by sgc »

Just curious if the Astro is compatible with a Garmon car GPS unit & if there would be any advantage to this; like greater distance or more detail, etc.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

sgc wrote:Just curious if the Astro is compatible with a Garmon car GPS unit & if there would be any advantage to this; like greater distance or more detail, etc.
No the collars are only compatible with the Astro.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Holly cow. I got my new astro and can't get it right. Trying to connect the collar to the remote, but don't understand what they are trying to say in book. Anyone here got helpful info about connecting the astro 220 with the DC 30? mines not working, im on the edge with it. I tried following the intructions, but it's not tracking my collar, instead, it's tracking some other thing. My collar is not moving, but the dog in the astro 220 was running around me, treeing, and even pointing.
Minnesota Beagler

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

i nveever had any problem with mine. just tuern the astro on set it outside takes just a few minuites to aquire sattleites turn the collar on that u want to set up ,,i think u have to go to add on the menu list follow instruction sit give u touch the antennas together it tell u when its ready and there u go! u may have to reset ur which is easy to.u just gopt a little hitch keep at it let a friend help ya!

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

ok. I've figured this little beast out. I was trying to communicate DC 30 to the astro inside my dorm/apartment and it wont work (maybe because of all the wireless thing or not enough signal). However, when I went outside it worked great. This is one nice tracking system. This system has a roadmap that you can use without connecting to the internet :) it'll take me a year or two just to figure out all the accessory's on this unit.
Minnesota Beagler

Boomerx

Post by Boomerx »

Yes, both units (Astro 220 and D-30 collar) have to receive a satellite signal in order to communicate with each other. The Astro 220 will usually pick up the signal indoors, but I don't think the collar will. However, I can always read where the hound is, when I come indoors for lunch (and the hound is 1/2 mile away in my woods). When I start off for the day, I have both units turned on, and in the open outdoors. It does take a minute or so. Terry McBride

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

Just got another shipment of DC-30 Combo units in Today and still have 3 left if anyone is interested just e-mail me and will let you know if I have any more as I have one person saying he is wanting all 3.
Thanks Chip Eisenhut
Eisenhut Dog Supplies

richard g harker

Post by richard g harker »

just got my new Garmin tracking collar last monday, used them the last 4 days inthe up of michigan
they worked great
wont ever hunt with out them again