Most famous dog of all time

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Briarhoppers

Re: Most famous dog of all time

Post by Briarhoppers »

AL John -
That book ought to be required reading for every American boy. Only book that made me cry. Great story!
-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

yorkmtnbeagles

Post by yorkmtnbeagles »

wilcliff boogie...........

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

I agree that Red Fern is one of the best stories ever written, If you were lucky enough to be raised in the country & got to run the fields with the hounds, that story really takes you back.

Plowboy

snowhound

Post by snowhound »

I would be partial to Ft.Ch. Branko's Jack of All Trades. Jack produced an average of 1 champion per litter that he bred. He only had 48 litters in his lifetime, and by my accounts 48 champions or more. That is AKC and CKC only. If truth be told, I've never really collected the data, so there maybe more. Not only was he a great reproducer, he was a fine dog in his own right. Did not finish for his Ft.Ch. untill he was 6 or 7 years old. If a dog is good at 2 years old, he/she should be equally good at 7 years old. He was a great gundog ( and isn't that what we should all want, first and foremost) a good trial dog, a gentleman in the kennel. He would have finished for his AKC F.C. had he not been terribly allergic to the paint that was used at the time.
I was in Finland on a business trip in September, and visited with some beaglers over there. And guess what, they had all heard of Jack of All Trades.
Uno is a great looking dog, and ideally there should be a proper combination of his line. Unfortunately, I understand he cannot reproduce. Should that change, we just may take a chance and look at breeding to him.
Frieda Krpan

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

How was IFC Wilcliffe Bannister related to Boogie? I remember seeing Bannister in several of the Pearson Creek pedigrees that i had when I was a boy. I don't remember seeing Linesman but he would have been a generation or two back from the 3 gen. I kept back then.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

il_beagle_boy

Post by il_beagle_boy »

old:Jack of all trades NEW:Greenbay Shooter
East coast trimer
Northbend billy grimshaw

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Boogie was the sire of Bannister. Famous hounds, yes, but not so much as Linesman in his day.

Jack of All Trades was a famous hound, but only in certain circles. Ask the Brace people if they know him. Go over to the SPO website and ask about him. They'll tell you about Short's Pro, who was just as famous on their side of the fence.

In Linesman's day, everyone was running the same type of hound, even the hare people, although the split came right after. When everyone is playing by the same rules, the winner is BIG. Elmer Gray's Linesman was BIG.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Lot of my old dogs had Linesman all through them. Gray's captain was one good dog that never got the fame except he was the sire of the infamous Warfield Red. A dog never heard from much that was a real trial dog was Truetone Dandy. Doesn't that kennel name Truetone have a great ring to it?
These were the old type and only type of field trials and they were SLOW, but real accurate on the line.

Who started all these Champions was Yellow Creek Sport, another dog that didn't get enough recognition. Loved those Pleasant Run dogs.
Great line and with no physical problems.

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Freida should have ended her comments after "Always a gentleman in the kennel"!
it certainly would have meant a lot more to those reading her comments In my opinion!

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

My male has sired one litter --- one pup went to a trial home --- and
that one made LPRCH at 17 mos old ... That's 100 % so far :lol:

Toot toot ,
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Laneline

Post by Laneline »

For me there are just too many to name to narrow it down to one dog. Taking in the different eras and all the different splits and format changes, I will name 30 from the last 100 years. Many of them may not be my style, but you can’t take away the popularity and influence that they had in their day on their perspective format. And I’m not going to name any dogs that are of recent time, just because they are “hot” right now, does not mean they will not be forgot about in 15 or 20 years. But who knows, maybe somebody on here may have a dog go down to being known as being greater than any dog on this list.

Card’s Blue Cap
Patch
Alibi Billy
Yellow Creek Sport
Gray’s Linesman
Sheik of Shady Shores
Nu-Ra Buddy
Sammy R
Wilcliff Boogie
Sutton’s Sport
Pearson Creek Stub
Warfield Red
Argo Bobby
Yellow Creek Ben II
Pearson Creek Banjo
Del-Ray Stubby
Fish Creek Andy
Chapman’s Buzz Bomb
Wier Creek Buzz
Mt. Zion Pete
Larmay Toastmaster
J-Wall of Roxline
Brad-Ju’s Bella Donna
Deer Park Spike
Able’s East Coast Trimmer
Gay Baker
Adirondack Bobby
Shorts Pro
Dingus MacRae
......And I think the absolute most “recognized” name in the last ? years in any format..….Branko’s Jack of All Trades
I say this because of “sure numbers”. First of all, because of what Jack of All Trades has accomplished and produced. Also in the last 20 years the “popularity pendulum” has swung in another direction. If you add together the number of dogs, number of trials, adding all the formats and associations of the AKC, UKC, ARHA, CKC & PKC together… you would see that the numbers of who owns and trials what style of dogs have changed drastically, it is not even remotely close.
"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain

New York Hillbilly

Post by New York Hillbilly »

I'm stunned nobody has tossed "Ninja" out there. Just an observation. :shock:
nyh
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

johnny

Post by johnny »

FC Turbo Powered By Prop
R.I.P Reserve World Hunt Winner Lp Gr Ch Adkins Rocky Hills Red Ram
R.I.P LpRch Adkins BB
Little World Hunt Winner Lp Gr Ch Adkins Joker
LpRCh Adkins Penny
LpRCh Adkins Rosebud
LpRCh Adkins Rosie

yorkmtnbeagles

Post by yorkmtnbeagles »

bannister was boogies son..bannister is who took the edge off the pearson creek line which led to pearson creek domination for about 10 years...bannister sired 100 champions...boogie sired 120.........if im not mistaken,,linesman sired about 60..hounds and hunting magazine did a story on linesman within the past year,ill dig it up and recheck my numbers on him....................i guess if you want to rate impact on the dog world,,you had better mention windcreek limbo..with 164 champions he is the biggest of all time.he was sired by bun-e-line bondsman,who had 50...........

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Cannot believe someone didn't say IFC Branko's Heli-Prop.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.