Last day Hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sunsetredbeagles

Last day Hunt

Post by sunsetredbeagles »

We were invited to hunt near South Hampton Va this past weekend,And for someone that has not done this before was something we will never forget.We ran rabbit after rabbit for a average of about 2 hours per run.Dogs just pounded all day but the thing we will remember is we was running around lots of swamps and we jumped a swamper and ran him for several hours with him back tracking over and over to fool the dogs with no prevale.Finally i saw the rabbit and i missed him(At this time i was feeling sorry for the dogs because i could not hit the side of a barn)But that is another story at one time the rabbit hit the water and i looked and the dogs were going out a log in the water and then hit the bank again,ran past another one of us and yes another miss.But this time the rabbit hit the water for a second time and swam out to a tree that had fell over and hid under the butt end of it and finally was shot,but the funny thing was that when we got to the water 2 of our dogs were in the water swimming towards the dead rabbit.This is a hunt we will never forget.I know for someone that hunts swampers alot has more than likely seen this,but for us great memories.I tried to post the picture of the spot where the rabbit was killed but i cannot figure it out.