WHO HUNTS HOUNDS WITHOUT E-COLLARS?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Haire-Bear

Re: WHO HUNTS HOUNDS WITHOUT E-COLLARS?

Post by Haire-Bear »

When we hunt cottontail-yes, the area is teaming with deer, dogs have been shocked off but......peace of mind. When we hunt hare - no , but the new Garmin is absolutely fantastic. Yes my hounds handle. Campbell

cspot

Post by cspot »

I run e-collars when they are young, but not once they are a broke dog. I figure that once they gain my trust then they have earned the right not to carry that extra weight thru the briars.

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

a dog dont get turned loose without a ecollar on at my house. some i just use tone on to remind them i am in control..they come when i holler .. young dogs get traackers too.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I have 6 e-collars, but I never go out without at least a dozen hounds. And I prefer to run 16, so 10 hounds would not have collars. I don't need tracking collars, since I run only cottontail.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I let mine out of the kennel everyday, running or not. I learned very fast that as soon as that gate opens, collars go on.

Matt Wilson

Post by Matt Wilson »

Once I can trust dogs I dont put them on usually when they are 2 or 3 years old but once in awhile have to put back on when one needs to be reminded who the boss is.
river road beagles

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I use shocking for training only they are usally trained by at least 2-3 then i dont need them if there used right i dont believe they need them all thier life are shouldnt if i raise a dog and it still needs a collar at 4 up the road they go if a seasoned hound imo has to have a collar all the time thier not broke there is a techniqe in training with a collar if done right they want have to wear them all thier it took me awhile to figure it out but i got it down pat now its a good feeling to knw you have a sure enough broke hound.Alot of hounds are ruined by trying to do all the training in the field At first i was training my dogs to handle when i went to the field until i learned it was much easier to do that b4 i went

BIG ORDEAL

Post by BIG ORDEAL »

I hunt 12 to 13 inch dogs and have put together a decent pack of hounds and I dont run tracking collars.My hounds hunt close range.I do however run collars on the ones I feel need it but also have a few that dont run collars on.I would like to have a pack that doesnt need them at all.Maybe one day.Thanks for all the responses

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Only on young dogs. Older dogs don't need one.

Once last year we all had 22 dogs running at the same time and plenty of deer jumped and seen by us all. Didn't have a single dog run one and there was only 5 shock collars among us.

I think deer are becoming as common as cows and only young dogs run cows when they first see one.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Running hounds for 2-3 hours a week, a collar is likely helpful. When your running 15-20 or even 30 hours in a week to get a dog in hard shape, the 13" hounds will beat up their legs wearing a collar this much. On hard runs in uneven terrain the collar beats their front legs to death.

Mowed paths in a beagle club, or 15" hounds it doesnt seem to bother.

Like I stated, I dont think you can make a blanket statement 'I always use collars' or 'I never use collars'......it depends on the dog, it depends on the situation, and it depends how much time the owner has put into the hound!

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I have to agree to the point of running dogs with out E-Collars, Back in the late Fifties and Sixsties, and Seventies and early Eighties, I had the pleasure of running dogs that did not require an E-COLLAR, then i started running ARHA TRIALS, And then all of a sudden their seemed to be more deer than rabbits. But if you have ever run compitition hunts no matter what foremat, you as a handler have very little control over your dog or what kind of dogs they are down with. Many a dog has come to a trial broke according to the handler and go home a deer runner. And then there's a lot of dogs that are brought that the handler knows they will run a deer, but they will take that chance. Then you had better have dogs that are broke, deer profe or what ever. You can run tracking collars on your dogs in a trial, but you can't have the reciever with you in the field, so if something does happen you have to go back to the truck and get it, then the dogs are in the next county. I use E-COLLARS, on most of my dogs, and tracking collars on most but i still have a few that i say are straight. But if you can run trials and say my dogs are completly broke. If i ever get the oportunity to meet you, would like to shake your hand not being smart about it you deserve the complament on your achievement. Had it once not now. GODBLESS

Richard

Post by Richard »

I use one on my hound. Before I had one, he would stay in the brush and would not quit hunting. i had to cut him off on a trail to get him back. Now, he comes in with just a tone. I am too old to run down a hound, lol.
Arkansas Oak Hill Kennels