Advice on growing my kennel

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

Well said Big Dog.

Rob, you are right also! Hunt can definitely be bred into a line. There are a lot of lines well-known for hunt.....the reason....it's been bred into the line.....and that's why many people breed that line.

But....even though hunt can be bred into a dog....training can take it away. If a dog learns that if he stands around and you'll jump the rabbit for him, he'll quickly learn not to hunt.....even though he is out of a line that normally hunts great.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Now that everyone has told "tally-ho" to go buy a fault free bitch to start with, who has one "for sale". Finding a top notche bitch to buy is tougher than raising one from a pup in my opinion. The only thing for sale is "kennel reduction" dogs that are NEVER worth a crap. I here guys post that they dont have the time the dog needs. Thats crap too, if the dog is that good you will find the time or you wont mess around with keeping any dogs.

I would recommend you buy two or three well bred female pups out of two dogs that you watch run, and like what you see. Breed the best one to a male you really like and you should be on you way. This will take more time, but I think you will be further ahead, and you will know more about what you have. Spending 3-5 years to get the proper start may get you set up for a lifetime of pleasure.

P.S. If I thought dog #1 was as solid of a rabbit dog as you stated, I would take my chances and breed her. Cull the pups that have a real bad bite and move on with life. An improper bite is a minor problem compared with many of the dogs I see people holding onto and breeding these days. I would rather own/breed a dog with crooked teeth than one that has a fault running game. Shaquille O'neil has some of the crookedest teeth I have ever seen, but he is still one of the best in the game! Good luck!
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

Dave, I've found a number of quality bitches over the years that were not quite good enough to be Field Champions but were solid, fault-free hounds. Most of them would place regularly in trials but could not win for various reasons. These are often available for $400 to $1,000 but are seldom advertised. I purchased one last week for $500 that has numerous licensed places and a fabulous pedigree. I may yet be able to finish her but if not, she should still be able to help my breeding program. Serious trialers soon tire of spending $20 entry fees every weekend for 3rd, 4th and 5th place ribbons. In fact, I've found that many times I PREFER those type of hounds for hunting over the champion who wins one week, then is thrown out 3 weeks in a row. This bitch I just purchased was offered to me after 10 years of attempting to buy one from this well-known beagler who NEVER sells a bitch so I was pleasantly surprised to get this opportunity. You've got to be pro-active though, as they seldom fall in your lap like this.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

i honestly belive its easier to bredd traits in than breed traits out so i think you should find a tough stud dog and breed gyp 2,but this is only my opion,,,,,,jeff
you can take a kid out of the country, but you cant take the country out of a kid

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Post by Robert W. Mccoy Jr »

Finding a really good bitch is easy.

I just bought one. Ten month old top notch little bitch.

I like every thing about her.

Finding her was easy.

Getting her bought is the tuff part.

If you want one you can find one no problem.

But you are gonna have to pay.

guest123

Post by guest123 »

I have to agree with Steve and Rob on this one. You are going to pay for what you get but there are some good bitches out there. You just have to look. I know of one that was sold last winter that has places and is a nice all around dog with no faults. Just wasnt good enough to get those wins. But she is a darn nice dog.

Smitty1233

guest123

Post by guest123 »

I have to agree with Steve and Rob on this one. You are going to pay for what you get but there are some good bitches out there. You just have to look. I know of one that was sold last winter that has places and is a nice all around dog with no faults. Just wasnt good enough to get those wins. But she is a darn nice dog.

Smitty1233

fun runner

Post by fun runner »

Why not breed female # 3 to a faster male?? Speed is the easiest thing to get out of breeding 2 dogs. The things it takes to run a rabbit is a whole lot harder to pass on to the pups.