How Old???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sunsetredbeagles

How Old???

Post by sunsetredbeagles »

I am new at this game can anyone tell me when getting rabbits like redbacks or any other pen rabbit how old should they be to put in the pen to start training dogs?

BCBeagles

Re: How Old???

Post by BCBeagles »

I am getting some rabbits for turning out at 12 wks. I was told by the breeder this is the age they are able to get there legs under them quickly to be able to elude dogs with
pressure not being extreme. Also I have heard that earlier release can lead to rabbits having digestion issues if being pen raised? Hope this helps.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

by BCBeagles on Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 am

I am getting some rabbits for turning out at 12 wks. I was told by the breeder this is the age they are able to get there legs under them quickly to be able to elude dogs with
pressure not being extreme. Also I have heard that earlier release can lead to rabbits having digestion issues if being pen raised? Hope this helps.
The younger they are when you turn them loose the better off they will be but in any case you should let them stay in the running pen at least two weeks before you turn dogs loose on them , the reason being is so they can get their legs under them and learn escape routes. I usually turn them loose around 8--9 weeks old. I usually start feeding them at 3 weeks old and feed them for 3 weeks before I turn them loose but the less contact you have with them the better off they are.It is best to raise them on the ground in pens instead of in off ground pens and this eliminates the digestive problems and they will have their legs under them from the beginning. This is what I do now and when I want to catch them I use a fish net. I am no expert on this but this helps me with mine.

sunsetredbeagles

So when you have them in the running pen are you feeding them rabbit food those 2 weeks,The running pen i have is a big wooded lot with alot of laurel undergrowth and brush,Down trees etc do i still need to feed in there? thanks for the info

Newt

Post by Newt »

I'm not sure that age or size is important. However, they need time to learn their new surroundings and exercise their muscles to the point that the can escape a running hound and find a place to hide. Having a hole so they can escape, once they get tired from running, will keep them running better and keep them alive longer.

sunsetredbeagles

thanks guys, What about feed and water in the running pen what do you guys use?

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

i like to turn them loose at 3 mo. they seem to survive better.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!