night running guestions

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jddingess

night running guestions

Post by jddingess »

I have never ran much at night. Because I work 3rd shift. But the other night I dropped four dogs at 11 and picked them up at 8. When I got them they where gutted they could barley walk. I was wanting to know about any negative effects that night running has on dogs. If anyone has any info please let me know.
Coalfield Kennels

rabbitsmoker

Re: night running guestions

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I did run at night for along time the running seems to be better at night however the coyotes are alot worse myself i would only run old dogs at night young dogs pickup bad happens i would absolutely not leave them unattended

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I run mostly at night on the shift Im on. I run from 1am til 5 or 6am. The running is awesome, but they dont have to get in the thick stuff to jump a rabbit. I doubt it helps them learn to jump rabbits.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Have been running a mix of night and day lately. Season goes out end of month and will run a lot at night then. Makes for some awesome running but like Mike said ,they don`t have to hunt to hard to find one.

Lawsonsbeagles

Post by Lawsonsbeagles »

From my experience i have better running at night from now till next gun season. Rabbits are out and the runnin is awesome. As crabby said, they dont have to bust the brush to get rabbits so it dont help the hunt out in a dog and to an extent ive seen it take some hunt out of hounds. Handling also goes down a bit as well. I walk with my dogs and make them mind as i would during the day so it dont hurt mine but i know people who drop the tail gate and sit and listen around a fire and there dogs dont handle very well.
Aside from what i mentioned, it is hard to find a better way to get dogs in shape. Killer running for hours and long races can gut some of the best but it can also make dogs.
Lawson's Beagles
Jeff Lawson

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Like said they dont have to hunt hard to find a rabbit but it sure gets those right on the edge on over because the scentin so good

jddingess

Post by jddingess »

They ran 16-17 miles last night. I can see how it wouldn't take long to get them in shape.
Coalfield Kennels

blackdog71

Post by blackdog71 »

i have 3 dogs all under 2 years they are doing good if i start running at nite will it help them i am just getting started in to the beagles but coon hunted for years any adv app thanks

jfields

Post by jfields »

I have to start night running tomorrow due to changes with work and family obligations. I am not happy about it. I like night running because it does seem to be better but i hate having to deal with the yotes.
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

I started running at night about 5 years ago mainly to avoid the deer hunters around me. I run 99% state land. Deer season begins on state land Oct.1st -Jan 1st. So night running was my best option to prevent conflicts with others using the public land.Sitting on the tailgate and listening to the hounds pound on a track is very fun and my preferred way to night time run.

I even on occasion will just cut loose at my house and let them run at night here. That's usually unsupervised and intended to be an all night run for conditioning.Neighbors have only complained once and that was because the rabbit ran all around there house at midnight.lol

The only down side that I've had was that the two older dogs I trusted to run at night weren't broke like I thought .They started running fox. Seems our fox population is pretty good here. Just seen one last night , when I heard all the dogs barking.He ran right across the back yard.I see them very frequently here. Especially in the spring. Can't seem to catch them in my foot holds. They are very cautious and smart. Plus I'm not much of a trapper on canine.

A fox race will certainly condition a dog. From the races I've seen they make big loops out of earshot like a hair and stretch a dog right out.Not all dogs will keep going because a fox is quit fast and the hound needs a lot of bottom and foot to keep up.

Tracking collars have helped me find my dogs many times after an all night run. Last spring I found them sleeping in a swamp about a mile down the road , eyes matted shut.I had dropped them on the ground around 6:00pm the night before and this was 12:00 pm the next day. They ran through a campground close by and the rangers had heard them running the night before.The rangers had claimed to have sighted fox many times there as well.

So I do like night running a lot. The running can be great.Rabbits seem to be nocturnal and easier to find .However I prefer to be with them when they are running to prevent any off game races, especially with my younger dogs.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

252 , I maybe should know you,You may be the offspring of some one I hunted with years ago. If you run Fox with your hounds you would fit in with my OLD buddy Buck Allen.I used to run all the state land around Chelsea.

Bad Luck Kennels

Post by Bad Luck Kennels »

All of my running is at night due to my work. I will have to say i think it takes the hunt out of a dog. Reason : They don`t have to look very hard for a rabbit. Rabbits due most of thier feeding at night and they tend to set out a whole lot better. JMO
Check out my site http://www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

LPGRRCH LPBCH CH HBCH Hunter`s Go Get Em Jake
LPRCH Bad Luck Kennels Little Girl

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

RABBITS EASIER TO JUMP & SCENT BETTER MORE RACES LONGER,BETTER CONDITIONING, ALSO CANT SEE THE WHITE HARE ON BARE GROUND AT SPRING THAWS, NEGATIVE COYOTES MOVING THEN MORE

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Tsa la gi,

It just so happens I know ole' Buck Allen. I have sold him a couple dogs and have ran with him a few times , just yesterday to be exact. Running here has been tough due to deep snow and lack of game. We can finally see the ground today , but yesterday I hunted the dogs 4 hours without a single race. At one point between myself and Buck we had 8 dogs on the ground and had only a couple barks in a still froze and slushy swamp.Never produced a race. Most were young dogs. Hopefully things will get better soon.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I'm a big fan of night running. If you pay attention you will learn pretty quickly what every dog is doing. Who is getting the checks, who is causing the break downs, which dogs are not packing, etc. You can hear better at night. You get better races. Don't have to compete with other hunters for the most part.

I dont like to run over 3-4. If you do, it gets tough to discern whats going on and it them becomes just conditioning. You also need broke dogs that will not trash. If not you could end up with dogs on people porches in the middle of the night..... :oops:

Dogs tend to run a cleaner line, because its not so easy to swing all over like crazy in the dark and they cant see far enough out. I have used night running to tighten up a looser running hound, not sure it lasted......?

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly