no more oversized dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mtnwaykennel

Re: no more oversized dogs

Post by mtnwaykennel »

All this talking and yackin' is just that.... talking and yackin'.

If you come to a hunt with a 16 inch dog.... It just shows the type of person you are. Do the right thing and all is well and this conversation goes away. Have a 17 inch dog that is awsome.. well congrats... run it somewhere else. I would not mind an awsome 16 inch hound. I would run him as much as I could and love it... but would not try to put him in a hunt that is limited to 15 inch dogs.

Long ago when I first got into this trial game I hunted in UKC. Met an interesting man there... nice feller but he was a cheater none the less. I thought well it is not so bad him bending the rules... after the day of hunting I figured out that bending the rules only was a hint to the type of person he was. I think if you are willing to cheat then you are willing to do darn near anything. He had a good hound.. she was real nice. But she had championed once and then re-registered under another name and back in the opens .. so in my opinion he was not worth the air he breathed.... If ya get called out at the stake and measured and you go to the truck... I will be the first to point and laugh as you get all mad. If no one calls you out.. I will be the first to make sure I keep my distance from you. If you are willing to lie on a poor ol hound then god knows what you will do when it comes to something that is truely important.

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Thank you Bill Woods for that post. :thumbsup:

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Good point Josh i have been known to get too jacked up on Mt.Dew and speak my mind though.
:lol: Many have Jimmy. Be filled with the spirit from above brother.

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

I would personally like to know why everyone is all jacked up over an oversize hound. Why is this size issue considered such an advantage? I'm fairly new to the sport but I have been whooped by both oversize and under size hounds. Ive also felt at times Ive had the better dog running against both. NOT once did I think I got beat because this dog was an inch taller. If that's the case the guys with oversize hounds should be able to whine and complain their big dogs cant get in tight stuff like a smaller dog and their nose is farther from the ground than a 12in dog. But how stupid would that sound? maybe maybe not!! I think everyone forgets these are track hounds and that foot speed is fine until they out run their nose. Maybe if they were running at the local circle track this may be a big advantage. I also wont buy the endurance factor. If your hound cant or wont keep up it has nothing to do with the size, they only run for an hour guys. But the rules are the rules. If you get measured out so be it. But I don't think a guy or gal taking a chance of getting big daddy in the winners circle is that bad. Doesn't make him a cheater or a liar or no good sob. Just someone wanting to join the fun and running whats he has.

PS Correct me if I am wrong but the winners I see typically posted on the results page aint on here cryin about an oversize dog because they just beat them all and dont sweat the small (and big) stuff!
MLB

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

only people complaining are the ones who do not win no matter how big there dogs are. These are people who never make enough money but do not understand why LAZY. These are the people who are always right and everyone else is wrong. These are the people who believe little bobby should get to play just because even though little bobby sucks. these are the people who make excuses about everything and then stand behind the rule as a way to explain why they got beat. That said i have a bastarded size female right now that i will run against any size hound she might not win but you will know she was there. why its called HEART and thats what u need to win. I had an old guy tell me once if you get beat by a big dog just buy a bigger better dog.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well said

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Why have any rules at all? Just show up with any breed, any size, any style, and everyone just decide for themselves who the winner is..........No rules

Thats called running with your buddies.....there are no rules, and everyone just runs what they like.

They have different associations to give structure and allow for general expectations. If you don't want to play within the rules, why go to a trial? Just stay home and run what you like. If you want to play with guys that have a set guidline, then play by the guidlines, if not, play somewhere else.

The fact that some of you don't care if 16" dogs run is not the question.

Tolduso,

The guys who bring 16" hounds are the same guys that always drive 10mph over the speed limit and get mad when they get a ticket, they put the wrong papers on a dog, they tell you they get 25 MPG on their full size pickup when everyone else gets 16 MPG..........

An honest person couldn't make themselves run an oversize dog and a dishonest person can't help but try to enter one..... :nod:

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

jimb1069

Post by jimb1069 »

Can someone tell me the advantage an oversize hound has running a rabbit? It makes perfect sense in the bench show world to have this standard but I don't see it in the field.
MLB

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

First i assume you are in the armed forces and thank you for that. Ha I do not mine the rules i just do not care. I do what it takes to make it thruogh life without stepping on toes if all possible but you know and i know this is not always the case. 1 hour is not going to make a difference is all i am saying. If so how fair is it for the 12inch beagle to run against the 15 inch beagle. I think there is a bigger disadvantaged to the 15month old hound that is 15 inches tall running against the 4year old hound thats only 12inches tall. We can disagree all day does not make crap to me one way or another. big bigger and bigger bring them all I want the best of the best.

271rockridge

Post by 271rockridge »

sicososbe wrote:14 15 16 . bring it on :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :moon: :moon: :moon: :bash: :hammer: :dance: :argue: :argue: :dance: :argue: :moon:
I agree with you Scott.What is the difference in a 13 inch bitch having to run against a 15 inch male.A dog cant run faster then there nose will allow its not like we are drag racing at the trials. I have seen little dogs that could fly on a track and big dogs that ran a medium speed at best.I have never had a dog measured and never will If I cant run with the big dogs I will just stay on the porch
ROCKRIDGE KENNEL---LOAD TO WIN---RUN TO CATCH

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I don't see much advantage to a bigger dog unless you are in deep snow or something like that. I do believe there are some ethics relating to the beagle breed standard involved in the issue. Dogs permitted to compete should conform to the requirements of the particular registry. If 15" disqualifies them or eliminates them from competition then there should be no exceptions. Is it up to the registry to determine how to regulate size or is it up to us as breeders? If you have ever been standing at the stake assembled with the child cast member with the BIG dog strapped to his arm, then you know the ethical dilemma. I have never called for a measurement as a competitor. I prefer to see the registry develop an operating procedure that keeps the breed true to its standard.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

tolduso,

Don't worry about disagrements; it doesn't bother me. Its what helps us get both sides of the coin......

I think there is a case to be made for a 15"-17" class, but not in the 15" and under class. Guys running in deep snow all winter prefer the bigger hounds.

Don't think this will ever be solved. There are people in life that abide by the rules and those that don't. Thats why we have large penitentiaries all over the country. The enforcement of rules is what separates the US from Arab nations.....It's why we have 100,000 soldiers in Afghanistan, because no one here really cares about the "RULES".

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

toldyouso wrote:only people complaining are the ones who do not win no matter how big there dogs are. These are people who never make enough money but do not understand why LAZY. These are the people who are always right and everyone else is wrong. These are the people who believe little bobby should get to play just because even though little bobby sucks. these are the people who make excuses about everything and then stand behind the rule as a way to explain why they got beat. That said i have a bastarded size female right now that i will run against any size hound she might not win but you will know she was there. why its called HEART and thats what u need to win. I had an old guy tell me once if you get beat by a big dog just buy a bigger better dog.
Frank Patty aint that Big. :shock: .
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Greg Wells

Post by Greg Wells »

I run a borderline 15" male & take my chances. He's made the winners pack twice & measured 15" both times, but I know he could measure over 15" just as easy. I don't feel like I'm trying to cheat nor do I think extra size gives a dog an advantage running a rabbit. Brains, nose & desire are the things I measure. Now if I tried to starve him & got my "buddies" to official measure him, I would feel like I was doing something wrong, but I say let the borderline dogs run; some days they'll measure in & some days they won't.
Wells Woods Beagles

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time

Breeder of:
FC Wells' Silver Spring
IFC Stoneyhills Gator
FC GD Wells Woods Valentine
FC GMC's Primetime Peeka-Boo

barryc

Post by barryc »

This is why it is a big deal!

The rules say height limit of 15" so that should be strictly enforced or they need to get rid of that rule period.

If they want to make it 16'' or 17" fine with me but then that should be strictly enforced as well.

If they won't enforce it why have it?