Red Flag or just getting better?? UKC Nationals

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jeremy Mapes

Re: Red Flag or just getting better?? UKC Nationals

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Argue all you want boys it isn't gonna change anything. Good dogs are gonna win or place no matter what format theyre in. UKC has it's downfalls with the point system as does NKC. AKC has it's downfalls with the judging (politics) and numbers game that was mentioned. Run what you like and deal with the results. Getting on here bashing other registries and dogs isn't the answer.
Dry Creek Kennel-Bred to get it done where it counts the most "under the gun".
RIP FC Buckeye's Big John
PCH HBCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

did the final cast lose any rabbits?

congrats to dakota.

Scott Fluhart

Post by Scott Fluhart »

Guys, first let me say that on an entry slip to the UKC Nationals any dog BETWEEN 12 & 24 months old is printed 1YR, so the dogs your bashing on could be 23 months and 29 days old .
With that being said........... I always have something I'm trialing that is UNDER 2 yrs old. If you think "1 yr old dogs CAN'T run a rabbit track GIVE ME A CALL , or better yet like someone else said COME TO THE NATIONALS and SEE WHAT YOUR BASHING.
Heck I entered 2-9month old pups this year and they BOTH won their cast....... A little luck maybe but they obviously did something right too.(Couldn't really tell you I didn't handle either one)
What Im saying is..... If you've got a dog that is bred right and YOU put the TIME it takes into them age is NOT an option.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

If the pack lost rabbits......red flag.if they didn't and accounted for their rabbits good pack.
i had a dog at towanda last year.ukc trail.had five rabbits jumped and all five lost.....not good

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I hope my post didnt come off as bashing any format, As that was not my intent. I run ARHA a lot, and it is fairly easy to champion a dog in as well. If you run a dog in very many trials it should champion out fairly quick. The Only way to keep a good Open dog is to get it qualified for the World, then run it in big hunts only. If a dog has some age on it in the Open class it usually means it hasnt been trialed, or it isnt very capable of winning. There are exceptions, but this is true for the most part.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Maybe it's just the "handling" aspect that's getting these young dogs to the finals.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

lol i have a dog finished out 3 hunts in a row at 17 months old he'll be 2 in july best dog i've ever owned u can bring ur best n come run with him tell me if you think he's good enough to trial u won't hurt my feelings. some people think they know everything and u can't convince other wise they will just argue till they are blue in the face, and they are usualy the ones who would be happy as a fat guy eating pie if they're 1 year dog won something big, but they won't b/c they don't have anything good enough to do it with.......it's not that serious red flag or green flag do what you want with ur dogs, the only who cares is the one who is bitter....the rest are happy, and having fun. i scratched my champion dog b/c the guys where arguing over where the lines were and calling them as their own dog came out i said i'm not doing this and i'm not arguing so just scratch my dog i picked him up and put him in the truck. I still had a good weekend just wa'snt my weekend to win.
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Brad 3

Post by Brad 3 »

I have been a UKC beagler for several years. I have had some success over the years all with very young dogs. But when you have a large number of cast at a large hunt someone is going to get a great guide and some get a not so great guide. Some score short lines and some score legal lines. Everone scores holes different. This making it imposeable to determine the best dog. In stead in my opinion they crown the best guide and most likely to use gray area rules to cheat. I have proposed to change this hunt to a elimination style hunt. Now if your dog does the best job in his cast and the grounds he was forced to run at, he would countinue to hunt as long as he has plus points. This would give the honey holers much less advantage, less pressure to cheat on lines and holes. Therefor all dog are able to go to next round buy winning there cast. In this style the winning dog has proven to run in many conditions and came out on top of all dogs given the same challenge
until he wins or gets beat. A much more honorable way to crown a winner. Fluhart once told me if I didin't like it don't come. I took his advise and my travel group nor I never returned and won't until this changes. This has resulted in a huge cost saving I often wonder if I should be mad by the way he treated me or share all the money he caused me to save ????

jdmart

Post by jdmart »

No one said AKc was so much harder! And yes Paw King kicked there ass, I watched it. Get the facts straight he was older than 12 months! This is why it is so stupid to post on this board. Everytime you do someone takes a couple of times examples and thinks is the written truth. I just think 1 year dog as was reported in the orginal post was a bit ridiculous. If they were older great. I personally believe if they were one, when they are two they will be blowed all to he*&. To the person who said they had a 2 year old dog doing great I would hope so. That is the right time to be htting the trials in my opinion, for what the hell that is worth. And Bev run your fox hound for about 4-5 years 4-5 days a week and see if a female will take the punishment a male will, from what I have seen they will not do it. Or maybe I need to ease up. Have a good day!! Good luck to everyone and I have nothing against UKC or any other format! As I have always said run what you love and love what you run!

bunnybuster24

Post by bunnybuster24 »

I have alot of respect for several people on this board and Jeff Martin is at the top of that list. However, I am going to have to disagree with some of you who think a one year old isnt capable of beating a three or four year old or capable of beating a AKC Field Ch.

I was at Nationals and as alot of you know I dont like feeding a dog that wont perform and win consistently. Of the dogs I entered one was an AKC Field Champion (that finished in the Midwest), a ARHA Rabbit Champ with 4 wins to GRRCH. Another dog I entered has two first and 125 points in AKC and has ran in both Midwest and Large Pack and is also a Little Pack Rabbit Champion with wins to Grand. These dogs have had the snot ran out of them leading up to Nationals around 30 to 40 hours running time per week, needless to say they were in good shape. The fact is they both got beat. Neither lost by much but losing is losing.

My female that placed 3rd at the Little Pack Big Five Hunt and is one of the best I have seen go got beat by Scott Fluhart hunting a young dog. We seen over twenty rabbits on our two hour cast.

Bottom line is a good pup can beat an older dog once in awhile. Do I think it will beat them day in and day out. NO!!! However, these hunts are to determine a winner the day they are ran. :D

And for all those telling Jeff to bring his best and come run against there one and two year olds you might want to think hard on that, ol Xena has proven she is a beast and will lay the :hammer: :hammer: down.
IFC Tysons Picking Banjo (RIP)
IFC Beavercreeks Manifest Destiny
IFC Blackies T Cricket
GRHBCH XDawg Lucky
FCLP Red Pines Sara Palin
LPRCH HBCH Crankin Katie
HBCH Loose Change WV Road Rage

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

Did the winners pack lose any rabbits?????
anyone present that could answer this question????

jerry kelly

Post by jerry kelly »

this is not a red flag for the ukc format, dogs grand sometimes at two or three, more hunts, scoring system ,ect, remember ukc is a 2 hr sprint and akc is a marathon, cant compare any of the formats or dogs to each other, some will cross over some not. :shock: :shock:

jerr kelly
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS HOME OF
GRHBCH RABBIT RIDGE CLETUS A.K.A. (SMOKE )
RABBIT RIDGE Big Luke
RABBIT RIDGE RAMBO
RABBIT RIDGE PHINE
RABBIR RIDGE Doc
RABBIT RIDGE RANGER ANN
RABBIT RIDGE LIL

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

I have one of those top ten 1 year olds u fellas are referring to from the registered class. My dog is run repeatedly every week with dogs that that have placed in akc-ukc-arha including his sire which has championed out in all three formats!!! My one year old does an excellent job against these older more polished dogs. Do i think its luck when ur one yr old makes it that far. Maybe. But when my one year old gets every first strike, every first line , and collects 2 lines all by himself. I think hes doing a pretty good job lol. Do i think the best dog wins every cast. Absolutely not but thats the way the format is set up.

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

The dogs in the HUNTING BEAGLE CAST did not lose any rabbits .they ran 2 scored on 2 .Madcatter. Ohlinger I believe you have it wrong you were the one arguing about lines because your dog wasnt coming out on them except for the 3rd one in question .And the dogs were coming out on the 1st two exactly where it was called .
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

HANDSKENNELS you have moved extremely close to the circle . :shock: