MILK AID for PUPS HELP

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

MILK AID for PUPS HELP

Post by dhoundman »

last year my female had fourteen pups and only raised three out that :angry: Why :mad2: I gave her milk aid and dog bloom with high standerd dog food [blue bag] she looked great and recoverd from it in great shape. she is only 13 inch and has avery short body. It seem like by the time that she got done having them she was worn out.
My other lumber Jack x Alibaba had 7 and raised 6 i thought that was good gave her the same diet and they turned out great. :D :D

What did i do wrong :?: :?: :?:

Any body got any ideas on what to do this time cause i breed her again. :eyes:

chascmp

Re: MILK AID for PUPS HELP

Post by chascmp »

don't have any idea how amny walker pups we have raised over last 20 years, we always put brood female on tetracyline (sp) two weeks before pups arrive. that is low dose antibiotic and we have used for years with alot of sucess, would not raise pups without female on some kind of low dose anti's before whelping. Tetracyline is what we have used.

Newt

Post by Newt »

dhoundman wrote:last year my female had fourteen pups and only raised three out that :angry: Why :mad2: I gave her milk aid and dog bloom with high standerd dog food [blue bag] she looked great and recoverd from it in great shape. she is only 13 inch and has avery short body. It seem like by the time that she got done having them she was worn out.
My other lumber Jack x Alibaba had 7 and raised 6 i thought that was good gave her the same diet and they turned out great. :D :D

What did i do wrong :?: :?: :?:

Any body got any ideas on what to do this time cause i breed her again. :eyes:
I've raised a lot of pups over forty years of beagling. I don't give a bitch anything but a good dog ration. I've raised eight of eight several times on Ol Roy, back when I first started in beagles. I raised thirteen out of thirteen this year, two litters, feeding Sports Mix 26/18. A healthy bitch in good physical condition that has a pedigree of good mothering instincts is most important. The pups take their nutrients from the mother's body. Good nutrition is just replacing what the pups take from her.

a-dog

Post by a-dog »

cottage cheese helps milk come in but very important to keep pups warm try an electric heat blanket

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I got a litter right now. Born monday the 18th. About 2wks or so before she had them i switched her on puppy feed. She's been on it since. I didn't use MilkAid or anything. I have plenty of fresh water for her and she's been drinking plenty of it. She's got plenty of milk and pups are drinking like its an all you can eat buffet. Puppy feed for the Momma till pups are weened.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

edyjr76

Post by edyjr76 »

Each breeding that I have ever made has been successful as far as "all pups living after birth". Prior to a breading I always ensure that my female gets a 7 and 1 (even though she gets a yearly vaccination) and a worming using a concentrated wormer (Nemex II). This pretty much guarantees maternal immunity…which in turn ensures that the pups hit the world ready to ward off all of the potential puppy killers that may approach the youngster’s. Also, add puppy feed to the females feeding plan. Pups are born very healthy and vaccinated/wormed via the mother’s milk. It works for me :)
EDY
N.A.R.R.

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

I do what joey does. Put the female on puppy feed as well. The pups suck the nutrition right out of momma and she needs the extra protein from the puppy food. I also feed mine an egg or two a day until the pups are about 3 weeks old. If mommas lookin rough I'll feed her some beef liver as well.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

allniter

Post by allniter »

I use GOATS MILK re placer make it a little weak put in on mommy food and an egg --at about [3] weeks pups will start to drink some milk ---I use water to soften the food at first and add warm milk --they eat like little pigs takes a lot off the MOM --of course I worm every [2] weeks mom and pups --they are silk as a ribbon --just like little kids they are always fighting and biting tails and having a good time you sure can tell they are growing and felling good :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Joe Parrino

Post by Joe Parrino »

I always keep on hand Oxytocin for after birth or for emergency use on hard whelpers. The best info my Vet gave me was this, A bitch uses Calcium during birth, (Contractions) and needs it also to produce milk after. So She said before pups are born 1-3 days before and after give TUMS Since I've not seen any problems infact the last bitch had milk leaking she baged up so much. Just alittle advice that did'nt cost alot.
Hunts Creek Beagles
Where Hunt Comes 1st
http://www.ushistory.org/documents/amen ... tm#amend02

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Were you giving fertility pills to the bitch? :lol:
My goodness! that's a load of pups for a little short coupled 13" hound... :shock:
What I'd do is, next time cut the litter size down to about 6 or 7 pups. Better to save the healthiest than to loose all. If you want to hand raise the others, get you a source of goat's milk to feed them.
Better luck next time.

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

thanks for the addvicw guys Two months ago she tens pups and raised 7 they all made lived up two two weeks old and then three die they where very small and still one of the seven that lived was so small the vet. said he was going to be a dwarf so i figure that i am doing bettter just to get seven out of her. She will be ten and i am hoping to breed again this next spring one last time and thanks to all help of those who responed she will probably do well. But for this year i giving her 7 way shoot and worming with nimax 2 and i also have been giving 1/4 tsp. of dog bloom. It seems she is a 7 yeaar old dog her energey is up and she is runing twic a week. I am really surprised at her level of energy. Maybe she will live to be 13 or so but one thing is for sure she is a lot healther then when i breed her the last time
A BIG THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :D :D :D :D :D

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

I have switched pups many times. I had an accidental breeding to a bitch I was campaigning. The day or 2 after welping I switch all pups to another mother. She raised then all. Two weeks later the bitch placed 2 in a mid-west trial.