pennicillin???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

briarhopper

pennicillin???

Post by briarhopper »

i saw the other question abt amoxacllin . Can i use pennicillin on my male dogs and un pregnant bitches. If so what is the dose. Also any guidance with ievermectin would be helpful.thanks

Mo. Beagler 5000

Re: pennicillin???

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

ivomec 1/10th or .1 cc/ml per 10pounds of body weight. (not very much)

yes you can give penicillin to your make dogs.. sometimes the doses depend on what is wrong with the dog so you will have to explain what problem your having
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

ivomec.1,10 of 1 cc is normaL,,,a little extra wont hurt ...i gave a do gthat had red mange 1 full cc for 2 weeks and cleared it up and ddint kill the dog . and gave him 1/2 cc everytime i ran him for about a yr.. or he would breaK OUT AGAIN,.

pennicillan is wonderful ,, i usually give 1 cc for internal infections same for sores on body.. also great to squirt some in eyes of dogs that have allergies ,, next day eyes be good as new.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

Ivermectin: For a dog weighing 30 lbs., the dose would be 4.5mg, once a day. Depending on the severity of the infection, this may be repeated until the parasites are completely gone.

Penicillin: If it's the capsule form, forget it unless it's the only antibiotic you have. A lot of infections are immune to penicillin, and it generally won’t help a staph infection at all. It also often causes yeast infections, especially in the stomach or intestinal tract, not good for a brood bitch. Indictable penicillin is not worth the trouble when we have so many other readily available options, such as cephelaxin (Fish-Flex). Usage dose of penicillin is 1ml per 100 lbs of body weight (10 pound dog would need 1/10th of a mL)

Cephalexin: This is one of the best drugs for skin and wound infections there is. It is easy to come by without prescription, and inexpensive. Two common brand names are Keflex and Celaxin. Cephalexin only comes in oral form, and the dose is 15 mg per pound of body weight, given every 8 to 12 hours depending on the severity of the problem. If you are using a maintenance dose, give it every 12 hours. If the dog has an infection already, use it every 8 hrs. The fish-version of cephalexin is called cefalexin (Fish-Flex) and can be ordered in 250 mg capsules without a prescription. The 250 mg capsule is a perfect dose for a 15 pound dog, once a day.

Amoxicillin: This is a general "all purpose" antibiotic that is cheap and easy to come by, but it does not knock down staph infections. The oral dosage for amoxicillin is 10 mg per pound of dog, given every 8 to 12 hours, depending on the severity of the problem. The fish-version of amoxicillin (Fish-Mox) can be ordered in 250 mg capsules.

Clavamox: This is very similar to amoxicillin but is a bit stronger and this one will knock down a staph infection, an important difference between the two drugs. Clavamox will also treat respiratory infections and ear infections, so it's a good all-rounder, as is cephalexin. Clavamox is only given orally. The oral dose is 6.25 mg per pound.

Baytril: This is a pretty powerful antibiotic, and should only be given when other antibiotics have failed or if the dog already has a serious infection. Baytril works very well for skin, ear, wound, urinary, and mammary infections. In tablet form the dose for a 20 pound dog you would give one of the 22.7 mg tablets every 12 hours, or two of the 22.7 mg tablets once a day.

If I had to choose only one antibiotict, it would be Cephalexin, because it is good, available, and cheap, and the fish form (Fish-Flex or Cefalexin) can be ordered without a prescription. Cephalexin can get the job done on a bite or laceration about 99% of the time. The only advantage of Clavamox is that it works a bit better on ear infections.

If I could choose 2 antibiotics, I would choose Clavamox and Baytril. These 2 drugs are very effective, they're easy to come by, and between them both, they can handle any infection.
Last edited by Dr. Chris on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Dr. Chris wrote:Ivermectin: For a dog weighing 30 lbs., the dose would be 4.5mg, once a day. Depending on the severity of the infection, this may be repeated until the parasites are completely gone.

What type of parasites are you referring to?
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

badger red

Post by badger red »

Good info Chris,

Awhile ago one of my beagles had an infection and a friend gave me some SMZ pills that worked well and cleared it up. Do you know what the "real word" term is for this antibiotic and what the dosage should be?

Thanks

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Dr. Chris wrote:Ivermectin: For a dog weighing 30 lbs., the dose would be 4.5mg, once a day. Depending on the severity of the infection, this may be repeated until the parasites are completely gone.

What type of parasites are you referring to?
Ivermectin is used to prevent and treat various parasites such as heartworm, ear mites, sarcoptic mange, lice and most intestinal parasites. It will not work against tapeworms, whipworms, fleas, ticks, and flies, and cannot kill adult heartworms although it may reduce their length of life. An important fact is the “tick” and “flea” myth, because many seem to think it works on ticks and fleas, but it does not. There are flea and tick products that include “ivermectin” and because of the combination, it does work on fleas and ticks. But because of this, many use the “straight-up” ivermectin thinking it works on fleas and ticks, but it does not.

We have to be careful of the “rumor and myths” of what product will do what, because you can do more damage than good to your dog with many products. Here is a good overview of Ivermectin: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

badger red wrote:Good info Chris,

Awhile ago one of my beagles had an infection and a friend gave me some SMZ pills that worked well and cleared it up. Do you know what the "real word" term is for this antibiotic and what the dosage should be?

Thanks
SMZ-TMP DS is the generic equivalent of Bactrim and Septra. It is actually Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole combined in one pill. It is also pretty nice and better then Penicillin. What your friend gave you is more than likely this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=10646