WHY

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Donnie

WHY

Post by Donnie »

i had a buddy here in martinsville who lost a good dog to the yots last nite............. so my question is why turn your dogs loose at nite knowing there worse at nite? we don't turn our dogs out to run a rabbit down the middle of a freeway we know then theres a good chance he'll be killed to me this is the same thing running at nite.whats every ones input on this
weasle

golden acres

Re: WHY

Post by golden acres »

For some with family and work night time is the only time to run. I believe there is a huge difference in turning them out at night than turning them down a freeway.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

If I didn't run at night, I would only be able to run about half the year. It's worth the risk to me. I run on the same public grounds very frequently. Between the steamy , humid summers and the sharing of the woods with deer hunters, I feel this is the best time to run most of the time. Also the severe lack of game,makes day time jumping of rabbits a little more difficult where I run.Night time rabbits seem to run better here.

I run with other guys on this board and with a good handful of dogs. Never had a problem with coyotes attacking. Have had dogs run coyotes before , however. That's a race that will test a beagle for sure. It will take 'em out of county quick. We try to stop this immediately if possible. I have shocked them recently off a coyote that I intentionally set them up on , and they didn't like that too much.Hopefully our luck will stay good on yote attacks. We make a good bit of noise with our dogs and our loud mouths. lol.

It may even be helpful, that many houndsman in our area run coyotes with big hounds. This may cause them to be leary of barking hounds in pursuit of game. A hopeful theory anyway.

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

I have seen coyotes attack as bad in daytime as they will in the dark. Matter of fact I have had more try it at day than at night.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

We have only had issues with yotes in the daylight? I think if they are protecting young or hungry it won't matter what time of day or night it is, JMO.

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

BCBeagles wrote:We have only had issues with yotes in the daylight? I think if they are protecting young or hungry it won't matter what time of day or night it is, JMO.

BC is right.Coyotes in our part of the country move their pups out into the cornfields not long after weaning the pups.Coyotes spend very little time around den sites like foxes.When the pups are still unweaned and living in a den,moma coyote will attack about anything she perseves as a threat to her pups.Same thing when she moves them into the cornfields after weaning.Later on as the winter comes on they see dogs as just another member of the canine family competing for their territory or food supply.They will kill foxes out and run other coyotes out that are dispersing into their territory.Same as a wolf killing coyotes as the wolf is a bigger predator.I don't think they ever kill running dogs due to being hungry,it's just a matter of being on the top and staying there in the predator kingdom.