Is there such thing is,a dog with to much of a hot nose

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dunbar Family Kennel

Is there such thing is,a dog with to much of a hot nose

Post by Dunbar Family Kennel »

I ran my dogs about 5 hours Saturday and about 5 hours Sunday. Running was real tough,dogs would fire up and run 10 or 15 min and then break down. They could never get up and drive the rabbit. Running was even worse on Sunday it was warm for the middle of Nov. I new my gyp was hot nosed,but I never heard her bark all weekend long. Are some dogs just to hot nosed to smell when running is tough?
Home of :
LP R CH D-D JET
LP R CH Branko's Whole Lotta Rosie
LP R CH LP B CH Mootry's OKla Pepper
Lp B CH Mt. View Macrae Beauty
Lp R CH Shenold's Sue
Lp B CH Caitie's Swamp Ghost Daisy

sanfordssj

Re: Is there such thing is,a dog with to much of a hot nose

Post by sanfordssj »

Big difference between hot nose and big nose dogs. I got rid of all my hot nose dogs because they can't seem to run in tough conditions or on leaves, snow, super cold, etc.....

I sold out a few years back after a divorce, but when I went looking for something to start back with I went for something with a big nose. I want my dogs running in snow, on leaves, and when it's five degrees outside. Thats why I looked for a dog that had came from upper Michigan with a hare hound nose. I have owned some of the best bloodlines out there, but the one fault all of them had in common was the lack of nose is tough conditions.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

Nose has been and is being bred out of the hunting Beagle. Because it is a crime for a dog to open before the rabbit is up in trails. the medium and colder nose dog is being bred out. Dont know your dog but with a hot nose dog, its not going to be able to handle a track other than just laid.

Dave

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

in a round about way yes.
if the senting is not there,its not there . and some days just suck.
and she is useing her mouth right by not opening.
was she getting rabbity any in her actions?
IMO thats better than one that pops off and dont get the rabbit up
or worse one that stands there and blows holes in the ground and keeps pulling the others back.

to be honest it boils down to 2 things .
A - as stated above . and that question is hard to awnser with out seeing the dog in action. (THAT DAY)
and watching her body language.
or
B - she dont have as much nose as the other dogs and just caint smell it.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

lebro

Post by lebro »

i agree that the nose is being bred out of them in favor of a dog that can get the front and dominate a pack. when you get those tough days this can make for painful running , find a dog that is good when conditions are bad and you will probibly get a few extra barks when conditions are good.what it really comes down to is getting a big nosed dog with the brains to back it up, wich has also been bred out to some extent. my dogs go hunting when i get a chance not when the weather is good for running. they compete aginst the rabbit not each other so i strive to have the best pack not the best dog , so i can tollerate some things like a cold nose or popping off i can not tollerate a dog that can not smell a rabbit when conditions are not good.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

I hate babbling!!!!!!!!
Run to catch!!!

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

i personally hate real hot nosed dogs,good dogs run when the scenting is good,great dogs run when u take them out!!!!
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

JCM

Post by JCM »

Dave Swiger wrote:Nose has been and is being bred out of the hunting Beagle. Because it is a crime for a dog to open before the rabbit is up in trails. the medium and colder nose dog is being bred out. Dont know your dog but with a hot nose dog, its not going to be able to handle a track other than just laid.

Dave
I don't think a dog needs to open before the rabbit is up. To me this is not about nose but brains. If a dog has an excellent nose, it knows the difference between a cold track and a track where the rabbit has been jumped. A dog with a better nose should be better able to tell the difference. The question is, does it have the brains to use it's mouth right.

The best jump dogs I have owned usually have had a good nose and could get tough checks and run tough tracks.

HOLLABACK

Post by HOLLABACK »

A colder nosed dog is a must for me.More importantly a dog that has the ability to move it with nose/foot combination.Snowshoe is all we have here,and snow depths and temps are never on your side.Being able to push what he smells till it's jumped is what I'm after........
HOLLABACK HOUNDS & GUIDE SERVICE
(Bear,Cat,Coon,& Rabbit)
Baileyville,Maine
1-207-271-0610

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I don't think a dog needs to open before the rabbit is up. To me this is not about nose but brains. If a dog has an excellent nose, it knows the difference between a cold track and a track where the rabbit has been jumped. A dog with a better nose should be better able to tell the difference. The question is, does it have the brains to use it's mouth right.

It does take brains.....the problem Ive run into(without a solution) is all the BRILLIANT beagles that CAN'T run in tough conditions. Maybe they are just too smart to be of any value....... :shock:

Since a youth with my first single shot shotgun growing up in Northern Michigan I have always appreciated a dog with a huge nose that could circle me a rabbit in the January below zero temps on ice. Very few dogs Ive ever seen could do it and everyone of them would bark out of place by trial standards.

All that said; Nobody wants to attend a field trial and hear a dog boo hooing all over the woods.

I will now make a statement that will likely get me crucified on here.......

THE BEST HUNTING DOGS ARE NOT THE BEST FIELD TRIAL DOGS AND VISA VERSA. You can still hunt with field trial dogs and you can still field trial with hunting dogs but the best will not be the best in both categories.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

lebro

Post by lebro »

some people are better at putting their thought down in type than me with out a doubt.
mybeagles wrote:THE BEST HUNTING DOGS ARE NOT THE BEST FIELD TRIAL DOGS AND VISA VERSA. You can still hunt with field trial dogs and you can still field trial with hunting dogs but the best will not be the best in both categories.
this is what i mean when i say i want a great pack that works together and not a bunch of great dogs that compete aginst each other. to me the rabbit is the enemy the other dogs are on your team. this is agreat post no bickering because we like diffrent styles or traits. i know more people have opinions on this , lets keep it civil and go with it
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

mybeagles wrote:

I will now make a statement that will likely get me crucified on here.......

THE BEST HUNTING DOGS ARE NOT THE BEST FIELD TRIAL DOGS AND VISA VERSA. You can still hunt with field trial dogs and you can still field trial with hunting dogs but the best will not be the best in both categories.

Mybeagles
i agree 100%

i too want a team , each dog has a different nich. we have 3 that work a check close and one will at times swing out 15 feet on each side but cross's back and forth. all can run a line and one is a line dog and will strighten out a bobble ,but when senting
is great we have 2 gyp sisters that can wind it. but not so fast that they over run by far. when its bad they can gear down and walk one out if they have to. they all want the rabbit. each taking the lead as the race permits. i think i will have a pack that please's me very well in the next year or so all our dogs are 3 ,2 and 1 years old. (still a newbe been in it for 5 years)
but what i would not like is a pack of front dogs that have to have the front at all cost.
some may like it like that.
it makes for a explosive race. i myself like a more constent race with fewer brake downs.
and some like very little to no break downs. ones that run at a 4 or so. thoses dogs would be to slow for me .

But hey, you know what we are all hounds men and women. and we love our dogs ( on most days).
i have learn so much great stuff on here. and met allot of good people. Granted you have to wade thru a little bullshit and a few ones pissing an moaning all the time. but still a wonderful place to come visist get some helth info . see video clips of others hounds for compairing.
an chat with people that understand where your coming from.
God bless yall
have a Super Thanksgiving.
Steve
Last edited by Owl Creek on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

I like a dog that runs close to the rabbit. Call it what you want, but the closer the rabbit, the better the scent.
Also if your dogs run a track too far back from the rabbit, what does it do when it runs to water?
Cross, run op both sides, or lost track since it has disappeared?
Hotter track in water will clue the dog in on what to do.
I don't think it has anything to do with a different kind of nose, or ability to smell, it is the breeding on how it runs or follows a rabbit.
Hide a piece of bacon and they all smell it the same.
One dog is bred to trail up a rabbit so it is lsearching for a track to follow to a rabbit and one is looking for a rabbit itself to jump up and try to catch it.
Nothing wrong with either, it just depends on the conditions where you hunt that makes one more wanted than the other.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

to many confuse cold nose with babler ,, a colder nosed dogs with brains is wonderful. if it barks for 10 minutes before the race is on the brains part is lacking imo.. it can show me it knows a rabbit is there by body moves..tag wag whatever ,, ifit is mouthing it better find it soonn..

and i very much disagree ,with the fact it cantr be a a good hunting dog and a trail dog .. i dont trial much ,but my 2 best dog , place high every trial i do make it to.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

respectfuly , he dident say a good one, he said the best at. i have seen great hunting dogs not win a trial.
and i have seen great trial dogs that i would not take to the woods.
ALLOT of this is a persons taste in a hound. i think i have good dogs but you might not feed'em.
Its all in ones perseption of what a good dog is.
But thats my openion. some will agree some wont. but thats ok.
i still can talk to an respect most of yall. cause your hound people.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646