micro chip?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Owl Creek

micro chip?

Post by Owl Creek »

what does it cost to have a dog micro chiped.

altho we are getting ready to do the DNA on ours .
but i guess a chip would be faster if someone swiped them.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

beagler29431

Re: micro chip?

Post by beagler29431 »

We order ours from Jefferspet.com - they run about $11. When we go to the vet for routine stuff, we have them put em in (but you can do it yourself). Our vet doesn't charge any extra if we bring our own microchips when we're coming in for something else. If we go to him and he provides the microchip, he charges $35. These are the HomeAgain microchips.

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

Thats a good price, my vet charges 60.00. I was thinking about putting them in myself too.
April D
Grantville, PA

Rick G

Post by Rick G »

You can also buy them in a 25 count box that comes out to about $6 each. Im a animal control officer, and ive reunited alot of dogs and owners due to the chips. Its a great use of tech at a good price.

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

Rick, My German Shepherd is chipped and we pay a yearly fee. If I chip them myself do I have to subscribe to a listing company?

Dave

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

I register my chips with HomeAgain, they charge $17, which is lifetime enrollment (they keep your info and if the dog is ever found, they contact you). However, you can pay $17 yearly and they include some health insurance and other features (like if your pet is lost over several hundred miles from home, they will ship your pet back to you at their expense).

There is also AKC CAR (Companion Animal Recovery), which we have used in the past, but don't use them any longer (not as good customer service in our experience), they charge $12 if you register the chip at the same time you register your dog with AKC, this is a lifetime enrollment. Avid also offers a registry/recovery service for microchips.

You should check in your area to see what scanners your vet and humane societies use. Most scanners around here cannot detect the Trovan chips (you can get them by the box for around $5-8 each), which is why we are now only using HomeAgain chips.

We used Avid chips in the past, but those chips moved around too much. When scanning one dog, we couldn't detect a microchip, but knew he had an Avid chip implanted years prior. After scanning his whole body, the chip was located in his lower shoulder/elbow area. In another dog, the Avid chip was implanted but years later when he was scanned, we were unable to locate the chip at all, so we put a HomeAgain chip in him.

We have had at least a dozen or so dogs returned because they had been microchipped, so we now microchip all of our pups by 9 weeks of age.

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

Also, if you implanted the chips yourself - you would need a scanner. There are many different ones on the market. They range in price from around $200 to $500.

Its also useful to have a scanner on hand if you find a dog or to prove on the spot that a dog is yours.